Question / Help Crash on Startup (0.10.0)

MHFsilver

Hi, I recently got a "new" computer and I was setting up OBS Multiplatform on it and when I launched it, it crashed right away before anything could be done. I've copied the crash log into a Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/df7Lpv0W. I realize the computer is bad but I was wondering if it had something to do with something else by chance. Thanks for your time.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Did you change the renderer to GL? If you did, that's a known bug with it if it's not compatible with your graphics adapter. Or if you didn't switch the renderer, that means it tried Direct3D, failed, and then tried OpenGL, which is probably the worst case scenario and means that your graphics adapter you're using just won't work at all with it (though admittedly it shouldn't crash).

But I can see why you put "new" in quotes. Just so you know if you don't have a dedicated graphics adapter on that thing it just is very unlikely to work. It wasn't mean to crash of course, but I can't help but feel it's related.

I understand that everybody wants to stream, but live encoding for streaming/recording really should be done with at least a semi-recent-ish processor, along with at least some dedicated graphics for compositing efficiently while (for example) gaming.

MHFsilver

Did you change the renderer to GL? If you did, that's a known bug with it if it's not compatible with your graphics adapter. Or if you didn't switch the renderer, that means it tried Direct3D, failed, and then tried OpenGL, which is probably the worst case scenario and means that your graphics adapter you're using just won't work at all with it (though admittedly it shouldn't crash).

But I can see why you put "new" in quotes. Just so you know if you don't have a dedicated graphics adapter on that thing it just is very unlikely to work. It wasn't mean to crash of course, but I can't help but feel it's related.

I understand that everybody wants to stream, but live encoding for streaming/recording really should be done with at least a semi-recent-ish processor, along with at least some dedicated graphics for compositing efficiently while (for example) gaming.

Ok thanks. Thankfully this isn't my only computer. I was just a little surprised to see it crash when starting up.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yea, the crash is definitely a bug in initialization somewhere, it's supposed to safely destroy itself if it the graphics adapter is incompatible, not crash. You're not the only one this has happened to either in that case.