Failed to open NVENC codec: Generic error in an external library

BBQBible

i have been trying to get OBS to use the 1660 super as the encoder with NVENC however, every time that I try I get the same message
obs not encoding.png.

Attachments

• 2021-03-01 23-47-37.txt
    17.4 KB · Views: 165

FerretBomb

OBS is running on your 2080. OBS can only use NVENC on the card it is running on. Set your GPU to 0, as the error box indicates.

That said, NVENC is a separate part of your GPU die totally dedicated only to video encoding. NVENC will not use any rendering resources for encoding. Unlike AMD, nVidia's encoder is well-thought-out, and works well. The only tiny slice of GPU time that OBS will take up is for color conversion, scaling, and compositing of sources. None of which is handled by NVENC to begin with.

Take the 1660 out of your machine. It's pointless to have it in there, and what you're trying to do can't be done anyway (and would totally flood your PCIe bus sending the full frames from card to card, if the devs allowed it).

If anything, having the 1660 in there is actually actively making your performance worse. It's splitting your PCIe lane allocation to x8/x8, instead of letting your 2080 have a full x16 allocation (which would make it perform better with OBS.

Yes, people have tried it. No, it doesn't work, and even if it did, the gains would be near-zero while leaving the NVENC core in your 2080 sitting completely idle.

BBQBible

OBS is running on your 2080. OBS can only use NVENC on the card it is running on. Set your GPU to 0, as the error box indicates.

That said, NVENC is a separate part of your GPU die totally dedicated only to video encoding. NVENC will not use any rendering resources for encoding. Unlike AMD, nVidia's encoder is well-thought-out, and works well. The only tiny slice of GPU time that OBS will take up is for color conversion, scaling, and compositing of sources. None of which is handled by NVENC to begin with.

Take the 1660 out of your machine. It's pointless to have it in there, and what you're trying to do can't be done anyway (and would totally flood your PCIe bus sending the full frames from card to card, if the devs allowed it).

If anything, having the 1660 in there is actually actively making your performance worse. It's splitting your PCIe lane allocation to x8/x8, instead of letting your 2080 have a full x16 allocation (which would make it perform better with OBS.

Yes, people have tried it. No, it doesn't work, and even if it did, the gains would be near-zero while leaving the NVENC core in your 2080 sitting completely idle.
I figured I had the spare card around I would try to use it but if it worsens the performance then its not worth the effort. I think you're right cause it was working for a bit and the fps of my clips was locked at 15fps even in menus thanks for the help.

FerretBomb

I figured I had the spare card around I would try to use it but if it worsens the performance then its not worth the effort. I think you're right cause it was working for a bit and the fps of my clips was locked at 15fps even in menus thanks for the help.
Yep, no worries! You're not the first to give it a go, and won't be the last. :)

FerretBomb

I never even thought about that it would split the slots 8/8 I figured I had enough lanes to o 16/8
The i7-9700k is a consumer chip, and only has 16 PCIe lanes. Everything else is multiplexed in by the mobo, and depends on how your motherboard handles that (splitting off and repurposing true lanes as needed, transferring between 1.0/2.0/3.0/4.0 bandwidth speeds as needed). So yep. Bus choke is going to be a thing; making sure your main card gets full allocation as much as possible is even more critical.
Main reason I went with an i7-5820k; 28 true lanes, no multiplexing. But of course, brought its own headaches (and cost, and lower clockspeeds).