Bug Report Xcomposite window capture not working

IamCarbonMan

Window capture with Xcomposite does not work. Not sure if this is due to a recent change or not. I have tried this on both XFCE4 and bspwm. Every window I try to capture is black. Log file: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/bf051e815b45ca6d3f58df97908fabaa

I have tried enabling and disabling the Mesa workaround option, this does nothing. As other threads have suggested, MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE="-GL_ARB_copy_image" does not work. Not sure what I can do about this, but it makes OBS basically unusable and makes it nigh impossible to stream on a single-monitor setup. Needless to say this is very frustrating.

shaolin

Chrome, Steam and some other known programs have issues with XComposite. We suspect its related wit hthe GTK version used. Clearly we haven't figured it out yet. That being said. I'm on nvidia proprietary and can xcomposite capture terminal, firefox, any steam game, and almost any other program so we might be looking at yet another adm stack (meda, drm, dri, etc) "issue" if i may with xcomposite

IamCarbonMan

> Chrome, Steam and some other known programs have issues with XComposite. We suspect its related wit hthe GTK version used.

I've tried to capture urxvt, Chrome, Steam, Retroarch, and Wine windows using this. None of them work. I use bumblebee so I so far haven't tried running OBS itself with the nvidia driver, so I guess maybe it is an Intel mesa issue.

IamCarbonMan

Running OBS using optirun (with the window manager) causes OBS to crash as soon as I try to use an Xcomposite source, although problems there are kind of expected. Running the X server, window manager, OBS and game together using the nvidia card works fine though. So yeah, it's a mesa issue (as has been documented elsewhere). I've commented on one of the existing bugs for this in the tracker. It seems like this kind of issue has existed for a while but dismissed as OBS being unable to capture certain programs, as opposed to a general driver error as it would seem to be.

AstroObs

I have the same problem, and am a bit concerned that this is not being resolved since the reply to Luke's comment on the Mesa forum was

That doesn't mean it's a Mesa bug, just that the OBS issue was triggered by a change in Mesa's behaviour (it now exposes 10-bit-per-component colour configs).

which may result in just finger pointing between the OBS and Mesa developers. Is anybody from the OBS side looking at this? Sorry for being pushy, but I heavily rely on OBS for Lectures, and am pretty much stuck now.

AstroObs

I am using KDE, and Xcomposite does capture all windows only in black, just like described in the first post in this thread. My logfile is here: https://gist.github.com/d8ad13764cc3c2fca3937781d3658019

As I was using OBS to record lectures, and use almost daily updates on OpenSuSE Tumbleweed, I can say that the change in behavior was caused by a an update of either OBS or Mesa between Jan 16 and 24 this year.

Any help of how to get OBS back to work is appreciated.

shaolin

Mesa exposed 10bpc support in january and obs was just requesting the current fbconfig. The opengl changes in that PR was merged and will be available on next obs release 21.1 (soonTM) and on the tested system that happened to be a KDE system the user was capturing any windows just fine on KDE. The issue still happens on other DE

So you can either try to compile obs master as of today or wait for the next release and see if that fix the issue for you.

AstroObs

Recompiling from obs master did not solve the problem. I attach a screenshot of what it looks like and here is the log file

https://hastebin.com/etarofiroq

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180317_130118.png
    Screenshot_20180317_130118.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 734

MooseLee

What version of Mesa Lib are you using?

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 with libglu1-mesa 9.0.0-2.1build1. Running Gnome with Xorg 11. Still having the black screen issue.

kurufu

In case anyone runs into an issue like this. We solved one of these issues because the user was using a Multi-gpu system (Bumblebee/Optirun/Primus) but X11 and OBS were on different GPUs. The resolution was to run obs without optirun so that it could capture the X windows.

biraum

In case anyone runs into an issue like this. We solved one of these issues because the user was using a Multi-gpu system (Bumblebee/Optirun/Primus) but X11 and OBS were on different GPUs. The resolution was to run obs without optirun so that it could capture the X windows.
Check the following, maybe you can explain why it worked.