Bug Report Xcomposite colours all wrong

Luke A. Guest

An update to libdrm and mesa have stopped the hard hanging with obs. But there are still issues, but I don't know whether it's obs or mesa.

I can't post images for some reason.

https://pasteboard.co/H7NR8eq.png
https://pasteboard.co/H7NRAAX.png

Code:
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: X.Org (0x1002)
    Device: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (HAWAII / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.16.0-rc1, LLVM 6.0.0) (0x67b1)
    Version: 18.1.0
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 8171MB
    Unified memory: no
    Preferred profile: core (0x1)
    Max core profile version: 4.5
    Max compat profile version: 3.0
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.1

Last edited:

shaolin

Its really hard to tell just from this. Can you also include Xserver version, glilbc and Windows Manager?

Luke A. Guest

x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.6
sys-libs/glibc-2.26-r6

The wm is xfce-base/xfwm4-4.12.4, but it's kept back to this version because there are issues with keyboard input lag with the compositor on with >=4.13.x, everything else, re xfce4, is 4.13. Also, the above screenshots happen with or without the compositor on, with it off, the images just look worse. Also MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE="-GL_ARB_copy_image" obs doesn't help.

shaolin

good, all libs seems up to date. Thats limits a lot. One last thing that might help. Just out of couriosity so we can try to bisect the problem... Would it be easy/possible for you to try obs in kde or gnome?

if same behavior happens there its very likely smth on obs. If it doesn't happen there we will have to find the diffs between xfce and kde/gnome to see if its on their side or obs side.

Luke A. Guest

It's not something I can try right now. GNOME would install with a ton of messing about. KDE might be easier, but I've still got to build the thing.

I'm just surprised nobody else is having this issue.

TyMiles2012

You're not the only one, actually. Just came here for that specific issue. I'm actually using the same GPU as you.
Ci3y1Az.jpg

X.Org X Server 1.19.5
glibc 2.26
Environment is Budgie 10.4 (Based on Gnome), WDM is Mutter.
OpenGL 4.5 MESA 18.1.0-devel, R9 390X, AMDGPU kernel driver.

EDIT: I also want to mention that screen capture works fine, so you could just crop that to your window, though everything that gets in front will be displayed, so it's a rough workaround.

Last edited:

Luke A. Guest

Glad it's not just me. Yeah, I know fullscreen works, thanks. Plus, you've saved me from having to install KDE/GNOME :)

TyMiles2012

No problem lol
Did a little more testing and the radeon kernel driver doesn't work either. I've seen other posts about it and apparently Nvidia users running proprietary drivers are doing fine.

TyMiles2012

EDIT: I misread your reply. Yes, I do believe it might be an AMD issue. Someone had the same thing happen on nouveau but the proprietary drivers fixed it. At this point, the official AMD drivers are literally the open source ones, which is definitely a good thing, but we don't really have much of an option right now.

Every other type of source work just fine, even NDI Source (I use NDI to use Game Capture for Windows only games or HDMI capture for consoles on my gaming laptop, and use a game streaming software like Parsec or Rainway to play the Windows games. They work together.)

I do need Xcomposite for native or Wine games and web widgets though.

Last edited:

shaolin

I'm indeed using Nvidia proprietary so it probably points to AMD stack. (mesa, drm or dri) At this point i can't help because i don't have any amd hardware to run some tests

TyMiles2012

I mentioned it on a subreddit and was replied that they're also using AMDGPU with kernel 4.15.4 and their Xcomposite works. I wonder if it's something to do with Ubuntu 17.10.1. I'm switching to Arch tonight so I'll have to check there. I was only on Ubuntu because I was troubleshooting. Arch is my planned driver. I'll report back.

TyMiles2012

Welp, it works perfectly fine in Arch. Using Manjaro XFCE on radeon kernel driver. Problem is I can't get amdgpu to work now without my system freezing at boot, even with the method I used that worked on Ubuntu. I can never win... ;-; I even followed the Arch Wiki to get it working on Ubuntu Budgie...

I'll have to go back to Ubuntu but with a different "flavor" and see how that works out. I was using Ubuntu Budgie before. I was going to suggest it might have been XWayland or Wayland, since Budgie is based on Gnome, but we'll see. I'm not a huge fan of XFCE now that I've used it. Way too barebones for me lol I'm guessing it's an XServer issue.

I think I'll give Kubuntu a shot since I've never used KDE and I'm pretty sure it uses Xorg and not Wayland. I never had much on my PC so I don't mind destroying installations to test different OS variants. If nothing works, I'll just go to regular Ubuntu since I want to move on to 18.04 LTS once that's out. Especially since they're ditching Wayland. Xorg is simply way more compatible.

Last edited:

TyMiles2012

I had that enabled in Ubuntu Budgie already.

EDIT: Misread that. It was enabled. It's disabled now since I believe it was disabled on the kernel.

EDIT: Works out of the box on Ubuntu 17.10.1. Are you using the Oibaf drivers? That's what I was using. That might be it. I'm installing them right now and I'll update again once that's done.

EDIT: Yep. It's the Oibaf drivers. Doesn't surprise me. These are very bleeding-edge drivers. Downgraded to original Ubuntu drivers and it works again. Even on kernel 4.15.4.

Last edited:

Luke A. Guest

Ok, I've tried a 4.14.20 and 4.13.0 kernel and get the same results. So, it doesn't seem to be the kernel drivers, so must be X or libdrm (most likely I think).