Bug Report [WORKAROUND] Hotkeys not Global (not working when OBS not active)

It appears as if the hotkeys are not global, despite giving OBS access to "Control my computer" (under Accessibility).

If I have OBS active, the hotkeys work; if another application or more importantly, the game, is active, the hotkeys do not work.

Is this intended (or known) behavior? / Am I the only person who has this problem? Is there an easy fix?

EDIT: This post was tagged "[WORKAROUND]" because a workaround was found.

Last edited:
Are you sure? It has nothing to do with App Nap. Although, OBS does prevent sleeping while running but not streaming, not sure how they are related even after reading the bug report.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Are you sure it has nothing to do with App Nap? Do hotkeys work if OBS is still fully visible, but just not the active window?:

[WORKAROUND]

Hot keys do NOT work if the window is still fully visible, but just the active window.

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

I went to Applications, and Right-Clicked on the application and chose "Get Info". When I selected "Prevent App Nap" and restarted OBS, Hotkeys WORK globally now.

Should this be a resource?

upload_2015-9-5_6-43-24.png

Last edited:
This seems to "break" after some time. I need more time and data points, but at some point, I'm having to close OBS, check and uncheck that box, and reopen OBS.

I have the habit of leaving OBS open ALL the time, even when not streaming, for days on end. Perhaps something time related?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Possibly. I don't recommend leaving OBS open when not using it, as it will be eating up resources for no reason (capturing rendering the output in the background).

k, more details.

If I use NON-modified keys (NUM1, NUM2, NUM3), it works just fine, and I haven't been able to break it. However, when I use MODIFIED keys (CTRL-NUM1, OPT-NUM1, CMD-NUM1) OR use non-modified non-number keys, such as NUM/, NUM*, NUM+, or NUM-, , the results are VERY fussy at best.

Basically, I have 11 keys (non-modified NUM0 through NUM9, plus NUM.) that work always, but the rest are fussy!

(I am using a Razer BlackWidow Chroma (yes, it's a Windows keyboard, only Chroma available) on a Mac.)

I FOUND IT!!!!!

The hotkeys STOP when a credential prompt is issued!!

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Set up hotkeys.
  2. Confirm hotkeys work.
  3. Cause a credential prompt (uninstall an application, install an application, or click the lock in System Preferences).
  4. Hotkeys no longer work.

tumblr_inline_nkx7n09n531s0m7nr.gif

kodec

What's funny is that on windows it's the reverse effect.

If OBS window is in the foreground, my hotkeys don't work. But when i don't have the OBS window in the foreground, the hotkeys works.

LoonyGeekFun

I bought an Elgato streamdeck console and now my scene changes always work, even if the shortcut keys stop working.

makes me a happy bunn

TecnaGamer

There is another way to fix this. Open system preferences and go to Security & Privacy, select the privacy tab, scroll down to input monitoring, (click the lock in needed) and click the "+" button and it should open up the applications folder, scroll down and select OBS and click open, restart obs if needed and it should work now.

benzsuankularb

There is another way to fix this. Open system preferences and go to Security & Privacy, select the privacy tab, scroll down to input monitoring, (click the lock in needed) and click the "+" button and it should open up the applications folder, scroll down and select OBS and click open, restart obs if needed and it should work now.

Most updated and working solution in 2020. (macOS Catalina)

stephanOUI

does anybody have the workaround for this for windows??

yankeeinlondon

I'm on iMac with latest macOS Catalina (10.15.7) and the hotkeys do work globally ... BUT ... when I send the hotkeys using Streamdeck it only works if OBS is the focused application. Not sure why Streamdeck's sending of hotkeys would vary from what my keyboard sends and to be honest I'm not sure if I should be looking at Streamdeck, OBS, or macOS to try and get this working.

Anyone have a point of view?