Bug Report Windows 10 April Update Mic issue

I installed the new April update onto one of my computers and I have come on to stream and OBS is not picking up the audio from my mic at all (Seems to be not only my Samson Meteor, but also my Webcam mic as well). I tested it using "Listen to this device" and if I enable that I can hear myself. I tested making a new scene and redoing audio settings and nothing seems to be working. General audio from the desktop is fine though.

Only work around right now I could figure out is to enable the "Listen to device" via my Samson Meteor audio as 2nd desktop device, and have OBS capture that as well. Anyone else having this issue?

D

Deleted member 121471

Had the same issue, fixed it by uninstalling my realtek drivers and letting windows use their own.

Fehre

Fehre to the rescue. My guess is that in previous windows 10 versions, you've disabled microphone in windows 10/settings/privacy panel. I did this too. In Redstone 4 (April update) Microsoft have changed how these settings work, if you choose to disable the mic entirely in the privacy panel, your mic will not used. Simply toggle the setting to on and you should be good. You can disable individually whatever software will not be allowed access for the mic instead.

Last edited:

koala

Every big Windows update, the Windows audio device settings are partially or completely reset. The more you customized, the more is reset. If you renamed the audio devices, their names probably got reset or mixed up. Especially if you use virtual audio cable devices. So your task is to first check all audio devices within Windows and re-apply any customization. Then go through OBS and verify the audio device assignments as well.

In OBS, you have 2 places to check: the general setup in settings->audio and every Audio Capture source in every scene you may have added.

In case you have games where you explicitly assigned an audio output device, check the ingame setting as well that it still has its customized output device set.

No need to re-install Windows or any app because of this: you only have to verify all audio settings.

The thing is I did verify the settings, and go over it all. When you go into the general audio settings even from the windows "recording devices" the audio level bar doesn't even move. Nothing is disabled, nothing is disconnected. When I enable "listen to this device" the mic audio comes out clear, it is like in general the mic audio isn't being picked up beyond that. I can make a quick video if people would like to see. That may explain better if I am not coming across well through here. Just won't happen till the morning here :P lol

Fehre to the rescue. My guess is that in previous windows 10 versions, you've disabled microphone in windows 10/settings/privacy panel. I did this too. In Redstone 4 (April update) Microsoft have changed how these settings work, if you choose to disable the mic entirely in the privacy panel, your mic will not used. Simply toggle the setting to on and you should be good. You can disable individually whatever software will not be allowed access for the mic instead.
Thank you!