Bug Report Window Position/Size

LuckyLIVE

Since the last Update OBS doesn't seem to save its window position and size any more.

Does anyone have this issue too?

Greetings!

Suslik V

0.16.1 size and position works well (one monitor). What position not saved for you (multi-monitor setup or other specific setting/environment)?

Vit@min

Still issues with saving windows position on v0.16.1
OBS window position will be saved correctly on screen 1 when dragged on borders, but not on screen 2. However, OBS windows position gets somewhat saved on screen 2 when its not directly closed out at the border.
For me the issue only persist when closing out OBS on the top left- and bottom left corner of my 2nd screen.

2nd screen 17" (left hand side), Main 24"

LuckyLIVE

What Vit@min says is exactly what is happening here ... if OBS touches the border of the desktop position will not be saved.

Suslik V

What Vit@min says is exactly what is happening here ... if OBS touches the border of the desktop position will not be saved.
This is feature not a bug. This ensures that when you disconnect second monitor (where you place Studio last time) it doesn't appear out of the screen (where it was earlier). This was implemented before v0.15.4. You must keep whole application on the screen, not out of the screen (at least its top left corner where icon [logo] is).

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Can you guys confirm if it only happens when it's touching the desktop edges? It only happens for me under that circumstance.

Vit@min

Somewhat confirmed;

Main Monitor (24")
- Top left corner > Position resets
- all other corners > Position gets saved
- Position gets saved on all edges, non cornered

Secondary Monitor (17" - left hand side)
- Top left & bottom left corner > Position resets
- whole left edge, not cornered > Position resets
- top, bottom, and right side edges-cornered and non-cornered > Position get saved

Hope this helps.

LuckyLIVE

This is feature not a bug. This ensures that when you disconnect second monitor (where you place Studio last time) it doesn't appear out of the screen (where it was earlier). This was implemented before v0.15.4. You must keep whole application on the screen, not out of the screen (at least its top left corner where icon [logo] is).
Sorry, but this feature as it appears now did not show up like this before the 0.16.0 update.

Can you guys confirm if it only happens when it's touching the desktop edges? It only happens for me under that circumstance.
Confirmed ... only when touching the edges.
It needs to have a gap from round about 20 to 30 px in my case to keep its position.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
After a bunch of testing (on Windows 10), this seems to only happen when the upper-left corner of the OBS Studio window gets within about 10 pixels* of the left-edge of the left-most monitor (and probably any monitor that does not have another monitor to its left). This is because the check for if the window had a valid position only checked if the upper-left corner of the window was within any monitors. Jim has fixed this behavior in this commit.

What's funny is that this definitely also happened in 0.15.4 (possibly also a bit earlier), but it only seems to have been reported now.

* The reason I say "within about 10 pixels" is that I noticed that the reported position of the upper-left corner of the window was sometimes off a little bit from the visible corner of the window. My guess is that it has something to how Windows draws/composites application window borders. This seems somewhat consistent with what @LuckyLIVE observed.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
I've been using obs-studio since it was first release and never once has this issue until now, just saying!
The issue has been present in some form since 0.14.2 when checking to see if the OBS Studio window was present within a visible monitor space was added. You could go just over the left edge of the left monitor, and upon restart OBS Studio's position would reset. However, the trigger for snapping the OBS Studio window to the left-side of the left-most edge only started occurring in 0.16.1. Given that the last code changes to the detection functionality were before 0.15.0, I can only guess that something changed in Qt for reporting window position coordinates.

Regardless, it's been fixed. I'm told a hotfix release is forthcoming soon.

EDIT: 0.16.2 is now out with this fix included.

Last edited: