Bug Report Win 7 Black Screen When trying to stream 2 new games

Arckaina

Hey, I've been streaming for a few months, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Ninja Shadow tactics, Civ beyond earth, and every time I just add the source to game capture and it has worked for every one of those games.

Yesterday my friend gifted me both Vermintide 2 and Hunt: Showdown.

When I try to game capture Vermintide, nothing shows up on my obs, except my overlay, nothing from the game. I'm aware of a work around with some games by putting them in windowed mode and using capture window but you can't really do that with vermintide as your mouse will constantly be clicking off screen while you attack thus making you stand still because you just left the window and click on your desktop.

With Hunt it's a little weird because game capture doesn't work on this game either for me, though when I do game capture with this game my mouse will appear, the in game mouse, and move around on my black screen (if I'm looking at it on screen 2 while tabbed into Hunt) as if it can see my mouse but not the game. Hunt worked in Window capture mode but I don't want to play in windowed fullscreen because again, I hate moving the mouse to look around and then having my mouse go off screen, trying to click something, then being outside the game window, but this one did work in window capture while Vermintide has never worked on either game or window.

I have the anti-cheat box clicked, I've run obs as admin, I've updated drivers and obs, I've restarted the programs and my computer, but nothing seems to work for me. I've watched a bunch of youtube videos about the black screen and how to fix it but have found no answers pertaining to my situation. I know both of these games are very new and pre-release even but I see other people streaming them on twitch so I'm curious what is going on.

I'll include a log but I don't know what specifically you need for me to do to look at a log. Atm I've deleted all vermintide scenes because I gave up on it essentially and then started trying to get Hunt to work, and atm I have 2 hunt scenes one window capture and one game.

https://gist.github.com/ad2ce92b09e31f793172c09c2e411b08 log

Arckaina

Any help would be appreciated, I can't stream these games with game capture (thought the Hunt mouse will appear over a black screen but the game won't for game capture), or display capture, I have been able to get Hunt to work on Window capture and using fullscreen window but it makes the gameplay clunky. I have never been able to get Vermintide to work no matter what I do.

Please send help S.O.S

Harold

You have WAY too many game capture sources in your scenes. Remove them all then add only ONE game capture source and use that to capture all your games.

Arckaina

It could be I'm missing your meaning here Harold. I have several game capture sources in 1 scene. They have never had a problem. If you mean I should add a new scene for every game I understand that, 1 game capture source per scene, but I'm not following what you mean by "one game capture source for all my games."

If it helps I've made a completely new scene for both hunt, and vermintide 2, with no game capture sources in them, then tried game capture in those fresh scenes but that has also not worked in getting them to display.

Harold

No.
You're way off.

You should only have 1 game capture source across all scenes.
Sources are global and will trip over each other, same scene or not.

Arckaina

ok I was unaware of this.. So every time I'm done playing a game I should delete the source of that game capture, then add a new game capture for whatever game I'm playing next?

Harold

No. Just point the existing source at the new game.
Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use "Capture any fullscreen application" mode.

Arckaina

I deleted every game capture source in every scene and closed obs. I restarted obs as admin, as usual, and made a game capture scene for any full screen application, then started hunt:showdown. It did not work, I alt tabbed, tried it on specific window, chose hunt, tabbed back into the game and nothing showed up on screen as the black screen remains. I alt tabbed back out this to write it so it was fresh in my mind.

jds4578

is your game "Hunt:showdown" also running in administrator mode ? thats maybe why its not working, both OBS studio & the game in administrator mode might do the trick.

Arckaina

I tried running both Hunt: Showdown, and Vermintide 2 as admins then checking to see if game capture, specific window, and game capture, any fullscreen application would work.

Nothing works for Vermintide, it never shows up no matter what I do. Hunt still doesn't work in fullscreen, but again, the mouse from in game does show up on my obs screen in front of the black screen where the game should be in fullscreen, so I put it back in windowed mode to be able to stream it- as Hunt works in window capture.

Thanks for the ideas I appreciate any input guys, still no luck though.

Kouske28

You need to turn off other capturing software. I ran into this problem as well. If you have an nvidia card, you need to turn off shadowplay. You also need to turn off gamedvr, which is something that comes with microsoft. Once I had disable these 2 things and then OBS worked as intended. Please turn these things off and then report back.

Arckaina

heyo, I do not have a nvidia card, I have an AMD Radeon R9 390 card. I also have windows 7, so I don't have gamedvr as googled it and it seems to be a win10 thing.

I don't have any other capture software, I don't install what I consider bloatware, aka the nvidia and amd extra monitoring programs, I used to, but too many times those programs overlap another program or eat to much memory or glitch something out, so I just don't install those programs anymore.

Thanks for the ideas though, any help is appreciated because again, Verminitide won't work no matter what I try, and Hunt: Showdown only works in windowed fullscreen, with window capture.