Question / Help WIN 10 Record only Desktop 1 (Virtual/ WKey+Tab)

Ochitsuku

Hi there,

Just tried to start Streaming with OBS, and set everything up.

Unfortunately I can't find an Option to only record Destop 2 and ignore Destop 1 (Not Physical Screen, I only got one^^).

Is anyone aware of such a feature in OBS or how this could work?

Thanks!

Regards,

Ochitsuku

Narcogen

Not sure what you mean?

Capture methods in OBS are:

Game Capture (capture a specific application)
Window Capture (capture a specific window or
Display Capture (capture a specific physical display

Which one are you using, and what is wrong with what it is doing compared to what you want to do?

DEDRICK

I believe they are referring to the virtual desktops, Windows 10 supports running multiple "desktops" or "workspaces", with different windows/backgrounds, etc, similar to Linux distros.

Windows + Ctrl + D creates a new desktop
Windows + Ctrl + Left and Right allows you to tab through desktops

Ochitsuku

There is nothing wrong, I just want to have an Interface that is not streamed so I can switch to it. Maybe the attachments clarifies my situation. I would like to only record Desktop 2, is that possible?

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).jpg
    Screenshot (1).jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 473

Narcogen

Since I don't use this feature of Windows I can't say, but I am guessing, no.

OBS doesn't have a desktop capture method, only Game, Window and Display.

If you're not capturing a specific application or a specific window, then you're capturing a Display.

So if you switch from one desktop to another on that display, then OBS will capture the display you are looking at.

The usual method for having a portion of your environment not captured is to use a second physical display.

If what you need to do is see the OBS controls so you can make changes without your users seeing it, and you have a tablet or mobile device, you may want to look at OBS Websocket as it will allow you to control OBS functions without showing the interface on the display.

Mandolin

I have also experienced a similar problem. OBS does not detect virtual desktops via display capture any longer. I experienced this after the most recent updates. I am using W10 and only have one monitor. I am thinking that this is also a problem of the OS of my pc since latest W10 updates also promoted use of virtual desktops. I suspect that they've probably made some changes. Recent W10 updates also resulted in virtual cable malfunction. W10 also did not detect them anymore either.