Question / Help Why is my stream such low quality?

justice5150

Hello! My name is Justice. I've recently been streaming, and for some reason, sometimes my stream is good quality, sometimes its bad! Twitch tells me it has something to do with my bitrate. My upload speed is 11mb, so what should my bitrate be??

Pretty much what happens is whenever I run in Minecraft, the quality just starts going bad. But if I'm standing still, its absolutely amazing.

Can anyone help me??

FerretBomb

Could you define 'bad'? As in, the stream looks blocky, or is the Twitch dashboard quality check telling you that it's bad?

Appears that logfile is testing a bunch of different values; if you're running at 1600x900 at 30fps, I'd recommend about 2500kbps for passable quality.
The log file shows you trying to run 120fps with a 2000kbps bitrate, which isn't going to work for many reasons. It also shows you trying to run at 4000kbps, which exceeds the Twitch overall-recommended maximum of 3500kbps (after that the ingest servers start to have problems processing your stream) and DOUBLES the maximum recommended bitrate for non-partnered streamers (2000kbps).

What are your normal streaming settings? Not a logfile with a bunch of random ones all over the place.

2000kbps is enough to run a good-quality 720p@30fps stream. It might be enough to run a 900p@30fps stream with moderate-to-poor quality, or a 720@45fps with the same. It's NOT enough to run a 900p@60fps stream.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Looks like the log was removed...can you just post it on the forums in code tags?

And while you're at it, can you post a link to an example video?

justice5150

Of course my log was all of the place, I was testing things out! xP

Here is the newest log, with 2500 bitrate at 60fps.

http://pastebin.com/hnaiKYps

And here is also the video of the short stream,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Ls_GvuIa0

Youtube just told me that it detected that my video was also shaky. If that helps at all!

Thanks!

And one last thing - I get a base line of 240-250 fps in Minecraft without streaming, and when I start streaming it drops over 100fps to 100-140.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Your computer may be having a bit of trouble streaming at 60fps. I recommend dropping it to 30 and seeing how that improves both game and stream performance.

And 2500kbps for 900p is a bit low IMO...I'd recommend bumping up to 3000kbps and see if that helps.

justice5150

Okay, I will try that! Thank you very much for your help!

Update: it works! Thank you so much, I am for ever grateful!

30 fps and 3k bit did the trick!