Question / Help VoIP + stream = potential echo problem

shaamaan

I'm having a conceptual/technical problem, and I'm wondering how people manage to resolve it. I'd like to play Jackbox games with some friends. Since the whole lockdown, we're all at home and so the only option I see is to stream the game + use any VoIP software.

Now, the problem: if I don't separate the game audio from the VoIP audio, then the stream will pick up both. From the perspective of anyone in the audience not taking part in the VoIP this is perfect - they can hear it all. However, friends using the VoIP channel will hear their own voices echoed in the stream. Unless they mute the Stream, but then they can't hear the game audio.

If I separate the game audio from the VoIP audio, then friends on VoIP can hear both nicely with no echo, but anyone watching else watching the stream will just hear the game audio, making the experience very odd.

So... what's the best way to resolve this?

I'm thinking one way would be to ask friends in VoIP to mute the stream and send the game audio via VoIP. There'd be a bit of a delay between stream audio and video for VoIP users but that MIGHT work? Still, I can't shake the feeling this is an overly complex solution and I suspect there's a simpler method.