Question / Help VLC Video Source Not Showing Up

DigitalDirector

I installed OBS 21.1.x and then had to downgrade to 20.1.x on my main Mac edit suite (OS Sierra) and VLC Video Source shows up in both versions.

(I had to downgrade to OBS 20.1.0 for Mac due to the Advanced Scheduler plugin not working in v21.)

However when I install OBS 20 or 21 into the Mac Mini (with High Sierra), VLC Video Source does not show up at all. I have VLC 3.0.1 installed and as far as I can tell OBS and VLC are both 64 bit versions on the Mac Mini as is Mac OS.

I desperately need VLC as a source input on the mac mini for our playout scheduling as our former playout software MediaSignPro seems to have become vaporware.

Any help would be appreciated.

mattadamsnet

OBS 21.1.1 popped up with VLC source as soon as I installed VLC 2.2.8! Thank u so much. OBS has a terrible time maintaining a rtsp stream, VLC handles it like a champ. Now I can add IP cams without worrying if OBS will connect this time or not.

the_Retrosaur

yeah i have a thread on page 2 with a link to download 2.2 vlc. basically version 3.0 vlc uses a different reference for the plugin and OBS is looking for the old reference and then thinks it’s not installed.

Kelly Lincoln

I just downgraded VLC to the earlier 64-bit version, and it still doesn't show up in the source list.
MBP Retina
i7
16G RAM.

what now? OBS is 21.1.1 (current iteration)

marklanerocks

I have a MAC OS High Sierra version 10.13.5 the VLC source isn't showing, i have been broadcasting for over a year with no problem, a full playlist of videos to my channels on Roku, Now went to load videos and the prompt is missing to add VLC playlist, I have loaded the 2.2.8 version plugin and running 3.0.3 version of VLC.. Please help Thank you..

Ive attached my log file

As ive looked at the file, it states VLC isn't loaded, Couldn't find VLC installation, VLC video source disabled..

Attachments

• 2018-06-13 14-04-29.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

JustHere4Coffee

Any idea on when this will be fixed? Requiring us to keep using outdated software for compatibility is a security risk. If nothing else, can we have the option to see the data whether or not OBS thinks there's a valid VLC installed, so we can more readily recreate the entries using still-supported methods? I've set up several playlists, all I need to see is what's on each list instead of just a blank screen...

TheMuso

As of a couple of days ago, a fix for this has been merged into the master branch of obs-studio git. So whenever a new version of OBS Studio for Mac is released, the fix will be in that release.