Question / Help Very choppy recording

NJP Duncs

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have started recording my games on OBS, however the recording comes out very choppy and non fluid. I have tinkered with every setting and have found the only way to ensure a smooth recording is to cap my frame rate in game to 60fps. However I am used to gaming at an uncapped frame rate on a 240Hz display. My frame rate whilst recording usualy fluctuates between 140 and 160fps and a capped 60fps isn't very easy on the eye, nor does it improve my game play. Is there any way to ensure fluidity in the video whilst maintaining a high refresh rate? I have also attached the log from my last recording to see if I am at fault for anything else.
Many thanks.

https://hastebin.com/yufacoseko

Narcogen

Is this log with or without the in-game FPS capped? I'm not seeing rendering lag there, but if there were, the most reliable ways of eliminating it are capping in-game FPS or reducing the canvas resolution.

NJP Duncs

Is this log with or without the in-game FPS capped? I'm not seeing rendering lag there, but if there were, the most reliable ways of eliminating it are capping in-game FPS or reducing the canvas resolution.
The log is without in-game FPS capped. The footage came out very jittery. Is there a way to solve this problem without reducing resolution?

Narcogen

Yes, you can cap the framerate. There's no magical button that makes OBS use no resources.

Is the gameplay smooth, but the recording stuttering? Because OBS is not reporting any dropped frames, which might indicate that the problem is that the GPU resources OBS needs to use to render frames are reducing the performance of the game, which can happen.

Either way, though, the solutions involve either reducing the game's load (resolution, frame rate cap) or OBS' load (canvas size, capture frame rate).

NJP Duncs

Yes, you can cap the framerate. There's no magical button that makes OBS use no resources.

Is the gameplay smooth, but the recording stuttering? Because OBS is not reporting any dropped frames, which might indicate that the problem is that the GPU resources OBS needs to use to render frames are reducing the performance of the game, which can happen.

Either way, though, the solutions involve either reducing the game's load (resolution, frame rate cap) or OBS' load (canvas size, capture frame rate).
The game play is very smooth. Its just that when I play back the recording, it stutters a lot

Narcogen

Indications are then you should cap your framerate. If the stuttering happens when the frame rate is uncapped, and does not when it is capped, you've answered your own question.

You could try capping at an even multiple as a compromise-- say, 120fps.