Question / Help Using Panasonic DSLR instead of Webcam

Purple Drink

Hello all, first time posting. I will try to be as clear as possible.

My situation: I am going to be streaming for twitch.tv soon, and would like to be able to use Panasonic GH4 DSLR instead of my webcam as a visual source. Nothing is wrong with my webcam, but there's going to be some content during my future streams where I want to be able to show more vivid and color accurate visuals on my end. If I can use a better camera than a webcam, I would rather go for that. It seems like other people online are using DSLR's instead of a webcam for live streaming, as well.

My problem: All of the most simple solutions are for programs that can only communicate with Canon or Nikon cameras. People seem to be using programs like DigiCamControl, SparkoCam, and EOS Camera Movie Record, all of which seem to only work with Canon and Nikon. In the case of EOS, it works off of some "LiveView" feature. I can't seem to figure out if the Panasonic cameras have a LiveView type of way of viewing it's output, so OBS could use Window Capture. All of these programs show the camera's output, and people online are using OBS to Window Capture those programs working.

Has anybody had any success getting a Panasonic DSLR plugged into their PC and getting a window up to view what it's seeing? If I go the capture card route, how will that work?

I'm really looking forward to showing a richer visual experience on my end.

Links to the aforementioned programs:
http://digicamcontrol.com/
http://sparkosoft.com/sparkocam
http://eos-movrec.sourceforge.net/

Nah Bohdi

I, basically, have the exact same issue but I have the Panasonic HDC-HS900 camcorder. I find it sooo stupid that these high end devices from Panasonic dont have a feature to use them as a video out/webcam. Had I known this I would never have purchased it, or Any Panasonic video/pic device ever again, ever.

Purple Drink

I don't know, my GH4 is a monster of a video camera, and I'm glad I have it. But according the the support guy over at SparkoCam, Panasonic never releases their drivers so people can design something so you can see what's happening on video out. Their message to me:

"Hello ******,

Unfortunately, Panasonic didn't release official drivers which allow using their cameras via USB connection, so it isn't possible to add support for their DSLRs.

Regards,
Denis
."

I'm going to try and contact Panasonic themselves, to see if there's any way to view video out on a PC through the PC monitor.

Any other advice or advice using a capture card would be great.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Sometimes camera manufacturers release programs that let you see what the camera is seeing in real time on the computer, though not as a webcam, and you might be able to use Window capture on such a program. But that is kind of a hack.

A capture card would be the way to go here. I recommend getting an internal PCIe card such as the Game Broadcaster HD, but if that's not an option, try a USB 3.0 card like the XCAPTURE-1. I generally recommend people stay away from USB 2.0 devices unless it's their only option.

Purple Drink

Dodgepong, using Window Capture while looking at what my camera sees in real time is the exact kind of hack I'm looking for. I intended to use Window Capture, then crop the frame down to just myself, then place somewhere in the corner.
I know it's an odd work around, I just thought it would be a much more affordable option, and an option I could use on other computers so I wouldn't have to bring my own PC or swap capture cards around. It's kind of a run and gun solution I was hoping to work.

But you're right that a capture card is probably the inevitability here. I'm looking into the Game Broadcaster right now. Does using a capture card introduce more lag? Or is it pretty 1:1? Is there a big difference with capture cards with moderate price differences?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
A PCIe capture card introduces a very small amount of latency, perhaps 100ms or so, but you're probably going to get the same thing or worse by window capturing a camera preview window if it's over USB 2.0. If you're only looking for HDMI input up to 1080p30, the Game Broadcaster is really the way to go, in my opinion. What other cards are you looking at?

Purple Drink

Thank you so much for that information, and I totally agree.

Other than the Game Broadcaster that you mentioned (which has great reviews), I am looking at the AverMedia cards, the Elgato capture devices (looks like it might not have enough features and plugs?), and the black magic decklink cards.

I'm especially interested in your opinions on the Elgato device vs. the Game Boradcaster/AverMedia cards.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Elgato devices are prime examples of USB 2.0 devices that you want to avoid. The Game Capture HD has 1.5 seconds of latency, and is a real pain to work with in a livestreaming setting.

The Live Gamer HD is another AVerMedia device worth considering, both pretty basic HDMI capture cards.

Purple Drink

Thank you so much for you help. I'm looking into those cards now.

I guess my last question is, are you confident that once I purchase one of these video capture cards, like the Live Gamer card, that it will be able to show me a live view of what my Panasonic sees by linking up with HDMI? Or is that a software issue I should be asking Panasonic, and AverMedia?

Purple Drink

Excellent, thank you.

And for those of you out there that are still wondering about this issue, like user Nah Bohdi (can I link him into this comment?) I just got off the phone with Panasonic and received some direction on what to do.

Since the GH4 is made with that the support team said is "Genuine HDMI Protocol", it will automatically transfer image over to another device with the proper HDMI protocol. As long as your TV/Monitor/PC has an HDMI "in" (most PC's have "out") then the HDMI "out" of the Panasonic will transfer visuals over to the monitor device. I am going to go experiment with this now on our living room TV and make sure this works with a live view of the camera's feed, and not just the playback function.

Purple Drink

Went and bought a micro-HDMI to standard HDMI cable and plugged it into the HDTV. Works perfectly on Movie mode. As long as you have a monitor with an HDTV input it should work. I'm assuming from here using Window Capture mode in OBS should get a result.

I'll still be getting a capture card, but for now this is a good way of getting waayyy better picture during a stream.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
You have to plug the HDMI output of the camera into the computer itself, not just the monitor/TV. Plugging into a monitor/TV just lets the camera interact with the screen. The computer can't see it unless the HDMI cable goes into the computer. And the only want to put the HDMI cable into the computer is with a capture card.

Purple Drink

You're absolutely right, I just tested it out with a monitor that both plugs into my PC's monitor port, and has an HDMI in port. OBS only recognized what was on the main monitor display, not the HDMI input. Just as you said.

Will be ordering a capture card tonight.

Stonne

So Purple Drink ? Did you buy a capture card ? And does it work ? If yes, which one did you buy ?