Question / Help Using animated GIF as image mask makes everything lag when GIF loops

mistermv

Hello everyone!

(log file attached)

So I had this silly idea to make people laugh during my waiting/break screens (PREVIEW VIDEO), this is basically a capture of foobar with a color key, some color adjustments and an image mask filter playing a 7.5mb GIF (I've tried with bigger files before, and tried as hard as I could to reduce it, hence why there are several files mentioned in the log).

I'm runing on an i9 with 64GB of RAM & a 1080ti so I don't think hardware would be an issue here. What happens is that everything runs along smoothly until it's time for the GIF file to loop, everything gets very laggy for a second, then things run smoothly until the next loop, and so on...

I wonder if that is something that could be fixed? Or maybe there's a workaround I don't know of! I don't think you can use a video mask, and that could make things worse..

Anyway, hope you'll have some clues and thanks for your time!

- mistermv

Attachments

• HfXCsAHZsvESUazz.txt
    34.7 KB · Views: 200

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
GIF files should be cached so looping doesn't pose an issue. I do see several GIF decoding errors on your log, so perhaps the GIF itself has a problem with some of the frames at the end. In general, large GIF files are not recommended as they require significant amounts of memory to store the decoded frame data.

mistermv

Thanks for your reply R1CH! A viewer reported to me that this could be due to the way Adobe Premiere renders GIF files, I will try to convert a video render to GIF with another software/website, I'll post here if this fixes it!

mistermv

FIXED!

Indeed, I exported to a h264 video and used this website to convert the mp4 to gif, and this runs just fine now :)

Thanks, hope this will help anyone in the future!