Question / Help Using a microphone on an external audio interface?

KipGrey

Hello all, I am trying to set OBS Studio up to recognize input from the microphone attached to a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 audio interface. I am able to add the Saffire as an audio device, but since I can't seem to tell it which input channel to listen on (the device has something like 20 input channels) I can't get it to pick up the sound from the microphone. So far the only way I've been able to make it work is to use Soundflower to route the audio from Logic Pro, which works fine but if I want to use my nice microphone I need to have Logic running while I'm doing other things, with a record-enabled track, and I hear my own voice in my headphones. Does anyone have any experience using external audio interfaces?

Narcogen

OBS is a stereo application. It only handles 2 channels per device (L and R stereo, channels 1 and 2).

If you give it more channels it seems sometimes it muxes them down, but not always. If I give it input on channel 3, it shows up on channel 1.

Myself I use Loopback for this, as it has a feature to create virtual interfaces (like soundflower) but then manually manage channel mapping.

KipGrey

Hi, thanks for the response, but I don't really understand how the Loopback routing functions work. Loopback can also detect my Saffire device, and lists all of its various channels, but the manual channel mapping doesn't seem to do anything. I thought I was supposed to create an aggregate Loopback virtual audio device, select the Saffire device as my input, and route the output...somewhere? But there don't seem to be any choices when I start working with the channel mapping. Is there a decent tutorial or something on Loopback you could point me towards?

EDIT: never mind...you have to click and drag. Ok, I got it sorted! Loopback is pretty pricey compared to Soundflower, but it seems like the only way to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish, so such is life I guess! Thanks for your help!

Last edited: