Question / Help Using a DSLR (EOS 7D/ Alpha a7) as a source for OBS

Red Squirrel

So I was looking around on the internet about using a DSLR camera in OBS and I couldn't find a whole lot of information or a concrete answer really. For the 7d I saw a bunch of people used the live preview window capture from EOS utility, but that sounds kinda limited in resolution, though I haven't tried it. I just want to know if I can use a normal HDMI capture card (in this case it would be an AverMedia Live Gamer Portable or Live Gamer Extreme) to capture the camera. Thanks.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
You want a capture card. You can't add the camera directly, and the EOS utility method is very limited, as you said.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
But using just a normal capture card like either of those AverMedia's should work?

Correct, but I'd recommend something a little nicer like a Blackmagic PCIe or Magewell/Epiphan USB3.0 card. The LGP is kinda crappy, and the LGX isn't much better.

Red Squirrel

I don't really have the budget for that, the LGX is really only used for Melee where it does fine. Will I still get good quality from the LGX? What would the benefits of a more expensive card be?

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Stability, mostly. If you already have the LGX I'd say it should be fine, they can just be kinda finnicky at times is why I don't recommend them if you're buying something new.

maxrivest

This is very interesting! ILMsux, I will be doing a similar setup with A7Sii and a GoPro 7 for multiple angles to toggle between, can you let me know how you integrated everything in terms of cables? For the GoPro, is it streaming over your wifi? or cables?

I ordered a BlackMagic UltraStudio mini recorder to pipe the A7Sii feed into OBS, but also want to have mixed audio (direct DJ booth feed and a small amount of ambient sound from our party).

Any sort of help with this would be huge! I also have a Zoom H4N that can be a pre-mixer for the audio, so let me know what you think is doable.

Thanks!
Max

Hi there Red Squirrel

I wanted to chime in only because I'm doing what you asked about.

I have two Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K capture cards fed by:

Sony A7s as the main source and
Sometimes a RED Epic Dragon or GoPro

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensitypro4k

It works like a champ and the cards aren't "too" expensive.

If you want to see it in action:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrackyPatientCrowRalpherZ