Updated to Ubuntu 22.04 and OBS no longer provides "Window Capture" option

CSMMaster

I have been using OBS Studio for over two years, and have updated my Ubuntu OS from 18.04LTS to 20.04LTS with no issue. I recently updated to 22.04LTS and discovered that some aspects of OBS have changed. Namely available sources. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. Hoping the OBS community might have some suggestions on how best to fix this.

My wife and I Live Stream frequently every week, and I need to get this resolved ASAP. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-09-08 19-31-05.png
    Screenshot from 2022-09-08 19-31-05.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 28

alexandrehuat

I think the problem comes from the interaction between Ubuntu 22.04 and OBS Studio regardless of the version.

Here is what I did if you want to reproduce:

Bash:
apt list --all-versions obs-studio
# result:
# obs-studio/jammy 28.0.1-0obsproject1~jammy amd64
# obs-studio/jammy 27.2.3+dfsg1-1 amd64

sudo apt install obs-studio # installs 28.0.1
# or
sudo apt install obs-studio=27.2.3 
# both versions show no source "Window Capture"

# before switching between two installations:
sudo apt autoremove obs-studio

alexandrehuat

I don't really know how, but I fixed it. All I can say is that I cleaned my /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory, namely I renamed files obsproject-ubuntu-obs-studio-focal.* by removing the "-focal" part. Then, I made a
Bash:
sudo apt update -y && sudo apt install obs-studio -y
and launched OBS Studio and it worked. I installed package pipewire beforehand by the way.

1663751568277.png

Palets

I managed to get the Screen Recording option back only when opening OBS with "sudo obs" through the terminal.