Question / Help Unstable Twitch Connection Only Using OBS

Neiyoh

About 2 weeks ago, with no setting changes at all, OBS decided that it was going to give me an unstable stream connection to Twitch. It is not my provider, bandwidth, bitrate, framerate, router, or drivers. I had been using OBS off and on for the last 2 years, and have never encountered this problem. I switched to XSplit for a while to test it out, and had 0 problems during their free trial period.

The connection to Twitch in Twitch Inspector registers as unstable after the first 5 seconds of streaming. Switching stream servers changes nothing, and doing a connection test to the Twitch servers comes up as a perfect connection.

I have tried bitrates ranging from 500 to 6000. There is no difference in stability.

I have tried resolutions from 540p to 4k. There is no difference.

I have attempted uninstalling/reinstalling OBS, using the Streamlabs OBS, reverting my PC to before the issue occured. Nothing.

Narcogen

Have you tested a different program, like XSplit or GameShow?

You say it's OBS but this honestly does sound like a provider issue. If it affects the other software as well, it might be. If it doesn't, then perhaps it's OBS.

A logfile might help.

Might also be worth it to either create a different user account and start with a fresh OBS profile and scene collection to see if there are any issues there.

Neiyoh

Both XSplit and Gameshow work perfectly fine. No issues. I have tried uninstalling and removing all user settings on OBS and installing a fresh install. Nothing.

I've included two images from Twitch Inspector.

One is a 4 hour long stream from 2 days ago using XSplit that ran perfectly smooth the entire time with 0 issues.

The other is a 5 minute test that I ran with OBS today. As you can see it becomes unstable after about 5 seconds, even though the bitrate is consistently sitting at 2000.
4h xsplit.png
5m obs test.png

Osiris

Tried setting the new networking code option in Settings -> Advanced?
Also post a log from such a session.

Neiyoh

Just for fun I attempted to stream to Youtube, also to no avail. Here is the log file from that and a screenshot of the stream health. The scene in OBS is completely blank, but the 'video' buffers.

2018-08-10 18-24-12.txt

yt.png

Attachments

• 2018-08-10 18-24-12.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 29

Osiris

Do you actually have any issues on the stream itself, things like stuttering, buffering etc.? There are no dropped frames in your log, meaning no connection issues.
The inspector results are probably because of NVENC, it doesn't stick to the bitrate very well in CBR, it fluctuates a lot depending on the complexity of the scene.

Neiyoh

Yep, same problem as x264. I let it run for a few minutes just to be certain. Here's the log file and a screenshot of Twitch Inspector as proof. The stream itself is buffering constantly, and like i said, the scene itself is just a black screen. Fresh install, nothing added. The FPS is showing as 0 because I'm running it with the Twitch Inspector bandwidth test thing that you add to the stream key.

2018-08-10 18-44-06.txt

twitchtest.png

Attachments

• 2018-08-10 18-44-06.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 27

Neiyoh

I have bounced between 30 and 60 fps yes. I normally do stream at 30fps. This problem started happening 2 weeks ago when I updated OBS, I'm unsure if that has anything to do with it? I've tried using older versions before but to no avail. I don't know if there was some kind of obs encoder update or something.

Neiyoh

For example, here is a normal stream with a completely black screen, at 30fps. Connection still becomes unstable after 5s, even with perfect FPS and stable bitrate. The stream on my channel buffers constantly.

2018-08-10 19-23-10.txt

ttest.png

Attachments

• 2018-08-10 19-23-10.txt
    12.1 KB · Views: 28

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Very strange. I assume you've tried different servers, even though TwitchTest said they should be OK? You can also try the San Francisco server to bypass any internal issues on Twitch's proxy network. Any 3rd party security / firewall / network software?

Neiyoh

Nope! I even currently have my windows defender and firewall off. I just attempted to stream to the San Francisco server and I still have the problem.

Curious that it always becomes unstable specifically 5s after I start the stream. Maybe something enables in OBS at or around the 5s mark that is causing the problem?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I've tried every US East and Central server.

Neiyoh

OK I don't know if you guys did anything, but it's working. It wasn't working earlier this morning but someone in my discord said that there was an update, so I downloaded that and it's working like a charm for the first time in 2 weeks.

Thank you so much R1CH and Osiris

omg.png

TGIRichi

Hey you just Update OBS Studio or something else?

Since about January 26, I have a similar or maybe even the same issue...

Bitrate are Set to CBR 6000 kbps / 5000 kbps / 4500 kbps and 4000 kbps...

The Bitrate are unstable...

If I set the bitrate to 5000, the bitrate goes to max. 7000 and min. 3000 ... Before, the bitrate was always constant and did not fluctuate so much ...

The tutorial on Frame Drops I have already through, but has brought nothing. I have already contacted IPS and a technician was already there, even without success. All cables exchanged, routers swapped, also everything without success.

I can only imagine that any program or driver is causing problems. Drivers I have updated all. Can it be due to Windows? But then several would have to have this problem ...

B3Y4N

Yep, same problem as x264. I let it run for a few minutes just to be certain. Here's the log file and a screenshot of Twitch Inspector as proof. The stream itself is buffering constantly, and like i said, the scene itself is just a black screen. Fresh install, nothing added. The FPS is showing as 0 because I'm running it with the Twitch Inspector bandwidth test thing that you add to the stream key.

2018-08-10 18-44-06.txt

View attachment 38528
Hi,

I am very bad with computers and I would like to start streaming but I get this exact same problem like you. I ran multiple tests and my bitrate is constant at 2500 kbps but i only get a stable connection for 5 seconds and after that it remains unstable for the remainder of the test. You said you updated OBS and the problem was solved but my OBS is updated and i still get this. I am really lost as I dont find a solution anywhere to solve this problem...
Schermopname (2).png