Question / Help Timed recordings on OBS

ScarletPercy

Is there a way to kick off timed recordings with OBS? Also, can I set a stop duration on my current recording so that I can walk away from my screen and expect the recording/stream to end after X minutes?

Narcogen

Tools > Output Timer

This settings tells OBS how long to record orstream before automatically stopping.

On the Mac, you can tell OBS to start streaming by launching it from the command line with the argument:

--startstreaming

An example would be:

/Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS --startstreaming

Then you would just need a way to run that command on a timer, such as this:

Create a file in a text editor. Make this the content:

#!/bin/bash
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

Save this file as OBSStartStreaming.command

Then use Automator to make a calendar alarm that launches this file. This way, you can make a timed item in your calendar that automatically launches OBS and starts streaming with the current settings, and it will stop when the Output Timer settings tells it to.

ScarletPercy

Tools > Output Timer

This settings tells OBS how long to record orstream before automatically stopping.

On the Mac, you can tell OBS to start streaming by launching it from the command line with the argument:

--startstreaming

An example would be:

Then you would just need a way to run that command on a timer, such as this:

Create a file in a text editor. Make this the content:

#!/bin/bash
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

Save this file as OBSStartStreaming.command

Then use Automator to make a calendar alarm that launches this file. This way, you can make a timed item in your calendar that automatically launches OBS and starts streaming with the current settings, and it will stop when the Output Timer settings tells it to.
This is perfect! This is more than what I was looking for :)

acttogreen

@Narcogen i've similar question. im trying to run OBS via command line, something like this :

C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit>obs64.exe --profile "debug" --collection "debuging" --scene "debug" --startrecording

then i wanna stop it via command line with this :

C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit>obs64.exe --stoprecording

it start to create another OBS instance :

how do i stopped my OBS without execute another instance ?
have any idea ?
thanks

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 955

Narcogen

There's no command like that. Invoking OBS from the command line tells OBS to launch, and then tells it that it should do something right when it starts (like start streaming).

So there's no way to tell OBS to stop recording with a command that opens OBS; that's why it is opening another instance of OBS when you try it. There is no "stoprecording" option.

https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/wiki/Launch-Parameters

The only ways of stopping recording are the output timer, the GUI, and hotkeys.

acttogreen

hello, after i searching in this forum, i found solution to stop record by using command

1. firstly install the "obs-websocket plugin": https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-websocket-remote-control-of-obs-studio-made-easy.466/
  2. then install this pluggin "Command line tool for obs-websocket plugin" : https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/command-line-tool-for-obs-websocket-plugin.615/
  3. follow the instruction
  4. then open up the command line using shift + right click at the OBSCommand directory, then type "OBSCommand.exe /startrecording" (to start record), and "OBSCommand.exe /stoprecording (for stop record) "
  5. that's it

hope it help

hanss.g

hello, after i searching in this forum, i found solution to stop record by using command

1. firstly install the "obs-websocket plugin": https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-websocket-remote-control-of-obs-studio-made-easy.466/
  2. then install this pluggin "Command line tool for obs-websocket plugin" : https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/command-line-tool-for-obs-websocket-plugin.615/
  3. follow the instruction
  4. then open up the command line using shift + right click at the OBSCommand directory, then type "OBSCommand.exe /startrecording" (to start record), and "OBSCommand.exe /stoprecording (for stop record) "
  5. that's it

hope it help
I need some help.

I downloaded and install Websocket.

How do i install command like tool. I have the zip file but where (which folder location) do you extract this in.

Once i have that done, can you please give me screenshot example on how you setup start and stop recording example. thanks

Bulsara72

This is perfect! This is more than what I was looking for :)
Hello, this didn't work for me, I have to do the same but with recording.
If I put /Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS --startrecording in a terminal shell, this works fine.
But saving the abovementioned text in a .command file didn't work properly...here's the output from the terminal:

Last login: Mon Oct 26 13:18:57 on ttys000
/Users/paolo/Registrazioni/obsstartrecording.command ; exit;
paolo@iMac ~ % /Users/paolo/Registrazioni/obsstartrecording.command ; exit;
/Users/paolo/Registrazioni/obsstartrecording.command: line 1: {rtf1ansiansicpg1252cocoartf2513: command not found
/Users/paolo/Registrazioni/obsstartrecording.command: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
/Users/paolo/Registrazioni/obsstartrecording.command: line 2: `\cocoatextscaling0\cocoaplatform0{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}'

[Processo completato]

Then, nothing happens..:(

Thanks

DaveN111

Hey Bulsara72 - a bit late I know, but maybe it'll help people with the same issue.

Your text file is a rich text file rather than a plain text file. In TextEdit when you create the file, do Format > Make Plain Text.

aconn91

I need some help.

I downloaded and install Websocket.

How do i install command like tool. I have the zip file but where (which folder location) do you extract this in.

Once i have that done, can you please give me screenshot example on how you setup start and stop recording example. thanks

Hey, did you ever figure this out?

Bulsara72

Hey Bulsara72 - a bit late I know, but maybe it'll help people with the same issue.

Your text file is a rich text file rather than a plain text file. In TextEdit when you create the file, do Format > Make Plain Text.
Hey Dave, sorry for the late reply, I was losing hope to get an answer...it worked, thanks! I was able to launch .command file and I also made an automator script and a calendar event to schedule OBS recording, the only problem now is when OBS open it up and starts to record the screen the OBS window is maximized and I have to minimize it manually, this means that I must be on my desk to minimize OBS...so any schedule is useless.
Is there a way to start OBS minimized?
Thanks

Bulsara72

Hey Dave, sorry for the late reply, I was losing hope to get an answer...it worked, thanks! I was able to launch .command file and I also made an automator script and a calendar event to schedule OBS recording, the only problem now is when OBS open it up and starts to record the screen the OBS window is maximized and I have to minimize it manually, this means that I must be on my desk to minimize OBS...so any schedule is useless.
Is there a way to start OBS minimized?
Thanks
Ok, I found that. Now there's another problem...when everything starts, the terminal window stays in the center of the screen, and I have to minimize it manually, I also tried to leave the terminal open and move the window to the side of the screen or to minimize it and restart the routine, but when command file is launched a new window appears...looks like a neverending story :(

winandine

There's another switch: --minimize-to-tray It can be combined with others like ... "obs64.exe --startrecording --minimize-to-tray"