Question / Help System requirements specific to laptops

Kyu

What are the system requirements for laptops in order to use obs?
It is not for gaming but for a Opinion Commentary livestream.

Harold

The same as desktops.
Hardware directx 10.1 or opengl 3.2 support in the video card, and a sufficiently beefy processor for the encoding.

Kyu

Do not know why it is an issue for me I even did a reset on my modem and did al the troubleshooting and still get error 404. Ugh.

Maybe it is a Netherlands internet issue????
Seems some pages of various websites get tgat a lot here.

Kyu

Will this work with OBS?
LAPTOP:
4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4300M mobile processor
4GB RAM
128GB solid state drive (SSD)
Intel® HD Graphics 4600 4th generation
Wireless and wired network connectivity

Built-in high-speed wireless LAN connects to your network or hotspots on the most common Wi-Fi standards. The Gigabit Ethernet LAN port also plugs into wired networks.

OR would getting this be better?

DESKTOP:
Intel Core i5-4460 Quad Processor (6M Cache, 3.2GHz up to 3.40 GHz with Turbo)
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx2) / Intel HD Integrated Graphics / Integrated 5.1 Audio
1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive / Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD) / 8-in-1 Media Card Reader and USB 3.0

I am not a techie and it would have to last him a year or a bit longer for me to save up to get a better one. Just want something he can start up with and if he decides it is not for him then I will not have to buy a better one. It is for a non-gaming pre-teen

Last edited:

Kyu

This is for a pre-teen. I am not sure how serious he is going to be at sticking with it. All I need is something that will work for 1 year to insure he is serious about continuing with what he is starting.

I do not know about you but I cannot afford to spend more than $300 on something that will later be nothing but a dust collector shouls a child decide it is not what they thought it was going to be like.

koala

For a pre-teen a laptop might be better, although the hardware is less powerful than a desktop of the same price. I don't talk about the fitness for OBS, I'm just talking about the child handling the computer. He will probably want to take it with him, even if only at home. A desktop is stationary. In the past, I recommended friends that have children in that age desktops, but all of them told me that this isn't suited to children. Children want devices they can carry around. My friends bought laptops for their children (aged 12+ or 13+) and I never heard a complaint. And as far as I observed it, the children used the laptops, they didn't collect dust, and they didn't destroy it.

On the other hand, a $300 laptop isn't suited for use with OBS. Not at all. You have to invest more for this use case.
But children will use computers these days. If you buy a more expensive laptop, it will not be in vain, since it will have other uses for it. Simple games like minecraft are (or were, I'm not up to date with current children's demands) very popular, for example.

Kyu

Thanks... He is not into computer games but is mesmerized by livestreaming comentary and interviews. He will be which is the minimum age for facebook and I think for yputube if not monetized. He is otherwise not a techie type but more of a bookworm/researching type. That is why I want to buy one that is not too expensive. He has a cellphone and doesn't even play games on that. Mostly he is on youtube or facebook. As for carrying it around the house to do it would be impossibke since his younger siblings would be making too much noise to do any livestreaming. The bedrooms were designed to stop noises from traveling to them so his bedroom would be the only quiet place for him to do live streaming. Lol

koala

If he is mesmerized at this age, he either found HIS thing for the end of his life, or his interest in it is completely gone in 3 months. It's possible that it might be a serious interest, since making commentaries and interviews is not something short-lived, flashy or spectacular. It's somewhat dry.
A very difficult decision for you, I hope you find the right thing to do.

Kyu

If he sticks with it after having a starter computer for a year then I will get him a computer for about $2,000 which gives me the time I need to save up for it. If he does not stick with it then he will instead get something that is a starter in his next endeavour.

He knows it will be a starter computer because I did not know what he wanted until 2 days ago. With his birthday coming up in a few weeks there is no time to save for anything better.
He also knows if he sticks with it he can gift his starter computer to the next older sibling for their birthday 2 months after his when he gets the newer one.

The computer he really wants from a picture of some guy he watches online who has monitors, boom mics, video cameras, lighting and a fancy set.....

That set up is something he will have to save up for which is a $500,000+ setup.
It was major studio stuff.