Question / Help Streaming DOSBOX in fullscreen help

kiri_b0t

Hello, I am requiring help in how to capture a DOSBOX game in fullscreen mode. I read this topic as it was exactly my issue also https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/dosbox-problem.58407/ (to which i cringe at how rude and non helpful this person was while people were trying to be helpful) Anyhows, c3r1c3 asked if they had tried window or capture mode. I tried to do this and even though the game was showing full screen to me, OBS was capturing it like the picture in the file i uploaded.

I also followed the tutorial EBrito had linked, regarding the opengl suggestion, and when I did this the game capture screen on OBS remained black although the red outline box was around the edge of screen.

If I could please get any more suggestions that I could try that might work, I would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking your time in reading on my issue
wmdosbox.png

Kisai

You have to configure DOSBOX to not use overlay mode to begin with. Unfortunately DOSBOX is a special case where streaming it can be more trouble than simply using the internal video recording mechanism of DOSBOX.

If you are streaming it, get an alternative build of DOSBOX that is built against SDL2, as that will use the GPU surface, which should allow the game capture to work. You will want to intentionally set a resolution in the dosbox configuration file so that when the game switches resolutions when launched, it doesn't screw up your output.

I would advise either running vanilla dosbox windowed or use a SDL2 build so it will allow the game capture to work at any scaling size. Another option is the Dosbox ECE build ( http://blog.yesterplay80.net/dosbox-ece-en/ ) which has some bells and whistles but of the more important things is that the soft-scaler can be adjusted up to 6X so that the game output is larger.

kiri_b0t

Thank you SO very much for your help Kisai, Dosbox ECE worked a charm. I really appreciate you taking your time to answer my question with a solution. Thanks again!

EdMaxtor

This is a bitter pill to swallow, but it has to be done.
First off (I don't know what it's worth by now) I would like to apologize for the harshness and rapidness of my responses.
For context, November 2016 was not a good time for me.
With the looming threat of being thrown out on the street at the time, I was under a hefty amount of stress.
That point in my life was far more stressful than anything prior or anything after.
Thus, I was not in a stable enough state of mind to maintain a civil conversation, regardless the detail.
To be fair, EBrito tried to help me fix my problem and I never got around to reporting back on whether his solution worked or not.
In my defense "Did you try it? If so, you need to report back on what happened (i.e. how you screwed it up) so we can help you... " wasn't too terribly polite of c3r1c3.
And his initial response, "You have to use Window capture or Display capture.".
Still, the majority of hostility falls on my shoulders.
That being said, I'm still having issues trying to get this working proper.
This time I'm pretty well aware of my strengths and weaknesses.
What I say now does not and cannot deny or refute the existence of past events.

EdMaxtor

tl;dr I was being an outright a-hole and taking my personal stress out on people who didn't deserve it.