Status
Not open for further replies.

fidelisoris

Wouldn't the source bounding box be then the "edge" for calculations? And if so, this should be relatively cheap in cost due to the simple geometry involved?

I ran into the lack of output trying to put a border "inner glow" around my video source. Disappointed but I can wait for a proper decision.

For the time being I created mask assets in Photoshop and use those to define the frame of the objects. It's hacky but it works.

Xaymar

Wouldn't the source bounding box be then the "edge" for calculations? And if so, this should be relatively cheap in cost due to the simple geometry involved?

I ran into the lack of output trying to put a border "inner glow" around my video source. Disappointed but I can wait for a proper decision.

You seem to misunderstand what I've just said.

Signed Distance Fields show the distance to the nearest edge, either positive (outside) or negative (inside). The edges of a source are considered infinitely far away, otherwise you would not be able to get any of the effects. Additionally the "geometry" you see is not what's actually there, as SDF effects are meant for undefined geometry. For simple effects where the geometry is known, you should use Source Mirror + Blur + Color Grading instead.

Xaymar

Xaymar updated StreamFX (for OBS Studio) with a new update entry:

StreamFX 0.10.0 Beta 2 (Testing)

This is a Testing release!
Testing releases are not meant for production use and should only be used for testing in isolated and controlled conditions. You can find the latest Production release here.

Enjoying the benefits of StreamFX? Then support it on Github Sponsors or Patreon!
The StreamFX project is only possible through your support, either as a...

Read the rest of this update entry...

G0MJW

Excuse my stupidity but I am having a hard time finding any documentation on the very basic setting up of StreamFX to stream. I want to create a constant bitrate Mpeg2 transport stream and send it via UDP to a server. You can do this with OBS record but the quality leaves a lot to be desired and most ffmpeg options are ignored. StreamFX seems the ideal solution to this but after installing with the installer, there appears to be no options to use it in any of the record or streaming settings. I know it is installed as it appears on the menu bar.

Mike

obstrip

Hi, Does StreamFX utilise the updated Nvidia optimized NVENC? Also, is two pass broken?

I ask this because when comparing GPU encoder usage between NVENC (new) and StreamFX I see 25% vs 17% respectively.

NVENC (new) OBS profile:
900p@60fps
Max Quality (Two Pass Enabled)
Key frames = 2
Look-Ahead = on
Psycho Visual Tuning = on
Max B-Frames = 4
Max Bitrate = 6000Kbps

I tried similar settings in StreamFX but it looked worse as well as using lower video encoder utilisation. I wonder if StreamFX is missing something to further utilise the NVENC encoder.

OBS: 26.1.1
StreamFX 0.9.3
Nvidia 2060

Last edited:

Xaymar

Hi, Does StreamFX utilise the updated Nvidia optimized NVENC? Also, is two pass broken?

I ask this because when comparing GPU encoder usage between NVENC (new) and StreamFX I see 25% vs 17% respectively.

NVENC (new) OBS profile:
900p@60fps
Max Quality (Two Pass Enabled)
Key frames = 2
Look-Ahead = on
Psycho Visual Tuning = on
Max B-Frames = 4
Max Bitrate = 6000Kbps

I tried similar settings in StreamFX but it looked worse as well as using lower video encoder utilisation. I wonder if StreamFX is missing something to further utilise the NVENC encoder.

OBS: 26.1.1
StreamFX 0.9.3
Nvidia 2060

Please read up on the wiki and guides on how to properly configure the encoder.

G0MJW

OK - so thanks for the help so far. I see if I set the recording type to standard I can now see the options for ffmpeg but I can no longer send to UDP, it has to go to a file. This is not what I want. So I try streaming. This works but only in H264. I need to send H265. That is possible from record but not from stream. What am I doing wrong here?

Xaymar

OK - so thanks for the help so far. I see if I set the recording type to standard I can now see the options for ffmpeg but I can no longer send to UDP, it has to go to a file. This is not what I want. So I try streaming. This works but only in H264. I need to send H265. That is possible from record but not from stream. What am I doing wrong here?

Aside from not understanding how OBS Studio works, nothing really.

G0MJW

I had hoped you might try to be helpful but clearly with that attitude, I was mistaken.

I take it it is not possible to stream H265 from OBS. I also take it your plugin does not support sending to UDP rather than to a file. This is supported by standard mode so I had hoped it would work. I guess you design for your own requirement. No issue there, but perhaps explain what it can and can't do in the documents?

Xaymar

I had hoped you might try to be helpful but clearly with that attitude, I was mistaken.

I take it it is not possible to stream H265 from OBS. I also take it your plugin does not support sending to UDP rather than to a file. This is supported by standard mode so I had hoped it would work. I guess you design for your own requirement. No issue there, but perhaps explain what it can and can't do in the documents?

Or you could learn how OBS Studio works, instead of blaming the lack of a feature in OBS Studio on an external plugin.

Edit: Just FYI, this is the section you should be posting in, not an unrelated plugin thread.
Edit 2: Oh and guess what, it's quite clearly explained what the plugin can and can't do on the Wiki.

Last edited:

Meierhans

Thank you for newest beta 2. I found pretty much everything working fine, beside Colorgrading effect killing alpha channel. And I wonder how dynamic mask is exactly ment to be used. I created a (modified) luma is alpha version of a scene, and I can apply it, but its rather hit and miss to get the settings right. Any info would be welcome.

Xaymar

Thank you for newest beta 2. I found pretty much everything working fine, beside Colorgrading effect killing alpha channel. And I wonder how dynamic mask is exactly ment to be used. I created a (modified) luma is alpha version of a scene, and I can apply it, but its rather hit and miss to get the settings right. Any info would be welcome.

The alpha bug of Color Grading will be fixed in 0.10.0b3, it's a slight bug with blending instead of clearing the buffers. It was discovered pretty early, but it's not yet made it into a full Testing release.

As for Dynamic Mask, think of it as an Image Mask but with the ability to take any other source in as the mask. You can control how much each individual mask channel affects other channels, but most people only use it to drive the alpha channel

G0MJW

Or you could learn how OBS Studio works, instead of blaming the lack of a feature in OBS Studio on an external plugin.

Edit: Just FYI, this is the section you should be posting in, not an unrelated plugin thread.
Edit 2: Oh and guess what, it's quite clearly explained what the plugin can and can't do on the Wiki.
Actually no. The Plugin was I thinough supposed to expose the codec options, and it does, but not if you want to send UDP rather than record to a file under the record tab. The standard OBS can do this but does do it, but it does not use the latest ffmpeg capabilities or options to encode well. The plugin can do this, and does it well, but somewhere it seems to have lost the functionality from under the record settings to output to URL - which you see under "Custom Output (ffmpeg)" whence the plugin option no longer appear, so no it is not about OBS capability but about this very plugin, which is why I ask here. I don't think you understand what I am trying to do and have consequently taken an attitude that I am not asking in the right place. This seems to be a problem throughout OBS. I see it lots of times when less experienced ask questions they are asked to RFTM but not where to find the TFM or where to look in TFM.

Xaymar

Actually no. The Plugin was I thinough supposed to expose the codec options, and it does, but not if you want to send UDP rather than record to a file under the record tab. The standard OBS can do this but does do it, but it does not use the latest ffmpeg capabilities or options to encode well. The plugin can do this, and does it well, but somewhere it seems to have lost the functionality from under the record settings to output to URL - which you see under "Custom Output (ffmpeg)" whence the plugin option no longer appear, so no it is not about OBS capability but about this very plugin, which is why I ask here. I don't think you understand what I am trying to do and have consequently taken an attitude that I am not asking in the right place. This seems to be a problem throughout OBS. I see it lots of times when less experienced ask questions they are asked to RFTM but not where to find the TFM or where to look in TFM.

Actually yes, and you'd have known this if you had spent the basic minimum required reading the manual(s). The plugin only interfaces with the plugin API, and can't affect anything else. It's literally in the name that the "Custom Output" is done via FFmpeg and not via the standard recording method, which would allow plugins to be available.

You are asking in the wrong place entirely, go back to the support for your platform. I am not your one-stop support for issues completely unrelated to the plugin - no matter how many people think that I am.

G0MJW

I give up. You are not prepared to listen. IT IS ABOUT THE PLUGIN. You can't expect even advanced users to understand interfaces. We are not all programmers you know. Well maybe you don't. Even if it is about the interface it could very easily do this even if it's not via some other interface. All it needs is an option to do the same as custom.

Xaymar

I give up. You are not prepared to listen. IT IS ABOUT THE PLUGIN. You can't expect even advanced users to understand interfaces. We are not all programmers you know. Well maybe you don't. Even if it is about the interface it could very easily do this even if it's not via some other interface. All it needs is an option to do the same as custom.

This is not about the plugin, the plugin has no way to affect the OBS Studio UI.

G0MJW

Actually yes, and you'd have known this if you had spent the basic minimum required reading the manual(s). The plugin only interfaces with the plugin API, and can't affect anything else. It's literally in the name that the "Custom Output" is done via FFmpeg and not via the standard recording method, which would allow plugins to be available.

You are asking in the wrong place entirely, go back to the support for your platform. I am not your one-stop support for issues completely unrelated to the plugin - no matter how many people think that I am.
And I did take the time to read quite a lot of the documentation and did search. Now. If you can make a plugin that works so well for recording, is it possible to adapt it to do the same and save to a URL or is that for some reason not possible? Many people would find this useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.