Stream with more sound channel. (viewers on/off)

Wolfbane

My suggestion is simple, sure it would probably need backup from streaming platforms like "Twitch", but think that would come rather fast if OBS went for it.

The suggestion is simply that streamers can have several different channels that are available for the viewer to change the volume on separately.

And yes I am aware that more stream channels would mean a higher amount of data traffic for Twitch/streamer/viewer.
But for example, the viewer could turn down some channels and the traffic total would not be more then what it is now.
And Twitch could also make this a feature for some higher streamers, so the change to several sound channels does not change overnight.

So as it is now there is only one sound channel for the viewer to listen to and tweak the sound up and down/off.

So the streamer can set up to have a default sound stream channel, and that would be his microphone.
And the streamers second sound channel could be for example be the music. So the viewers who dont want music on stream can turn down/off that sound channel.

And of course this could be implemented on several levels, so the viewer can tweak several sound channels on there own to suit the viewers prefered options. Example of sound channels "Microphone" "Gameplay" "Music" "Twitch notification sounds" the list goes on.

Other benefits is that sometimes streamers play music on there stream and when looking at VOD's sometimes Twitch mute stream if some songs where played, This way Twitch could mute that sound channel and not entire stream, and that way streamers could same more of there streams with intact sound.

Thoughts / Feedback... ?

Last edited:

pkv

Developer
the current protocol (rtmp) that is used by Twitch and most services uses flv container which does not support multiple audio tracks so won't happen until they switch to something like srt protocol which uses mpegts container.
So nothing that can be done on obs side till the services like Twitch allow for new protocols

Wolfbane

ofc it can... think outside the box.

What is preventing a stream to have the normal file downloaded and streamed, and at the same time have a 2nd file that only containts a stream of audio/music/sound ?

pkv

Developer
i've been streaming for 15 years, lol and i'm a dev contributor to obs. If you know how to do it, please code it. I know how to do what you request, but just not with Twitch, neither YT nor Mixer or FB. End of story as far as i can tell. If you have plenty of money to throw, hire me and I'll implement that for you as your own service on your website. ;)

Wolfbane

Do I have the knowledge to do program it myself = No
Do I have the money to pay someone els to program it for me = No

Im only here to post a suggestion that would improve the streamers and the majority of all viewer's experience.

And regarding force to make a new platform that supports this. Not true at all.
You can simply have a site like twitch have 2 streams on same page, but one of the streams is just pure audio.
Yes there would have to be a part where the second stream checks timeframes or something along that line so both streams are synced.

So YouTube, Twich, all platforms could do this change without huge issue if they wanted, just needs a Streaming program like OBS to start supporting it.

Osiris

As long as streaming services do not have the infrastructure to support what you are asking, it is no use to devote time to creating something in OBS that can't even be used. There are way more important things to be worked on in OBS.

Wolfbane

I just wanted to bump this suggestion, especially with all the DMCA crap that's been going on, maybe see if people might think the suggestion has a higher demand then when I suggested it 2 years ago.

Maybe someone even knows someone at TWITCH, to actually start talk to see if this would be a desired feature.

pkv

Developer
you'll have to reach out at Twitch; contact them! Not us, because we're not in any way what blocks the implementation of that feature.