Question / Help Source Paste/Reference Clarification

Banyarola

When copying a source to add to another scene what is the difference between 'PASTE (DUPLICATE)' / PASTE ('REFERENCE')

Thanks..

Suslik V

PASTE (DUPLICATE) should create new name (unique) for the source and create all new properties. As "Create new".
PASTE (REFERENCE) should acts like the "Add Existing" (name is the same, the properties are cross linked, if you modify any - all copies will be changed automatically, only Transform options can be kept different).

Osiris

Just to clarify the Paste (Reference), it's not exactly a copy of the source, it's a reference to the source.

Banyarola

I enjoy using OBS but I must say, some things, which should be pretty simple, really get confusing..
A simple thing like copy/past a source gets so convoluted with paste/reference, Paste/Copy when it could be simply one option..COPY/PASTE and that's it. Also, the differences between the two are no where to be found..At least I couldn't find any..

Anyway, thanks for all the effort you guys put into OBS...

koala

Easy rules of thumb to choose the right pasting method:
- if you need to use the same thing twice, use paste by reference
- if you need to modify the copy but keep the original, use paste by duplicate
- if you want to keep the copy synchronized to the original, use paste by reference

You prefer reference, because a reference re-uses resources, while a duplicate duplicates resource usage for that source.
Reference is lightweight, duplicate is heavyweight.

smackercracker1

I'm trying to copy and paste (duplicate) my audio captures group into each scene - gaming, chatting, AFK, etc. When I paste (duplicate) the group, any adjustment I make in the scene is reflected across all of them that I've pasted it in. It's almost as if it's doing reference and not duplicate. Maybe I'm not understanding exactly how it's reading the source?

iammanbeard

I'm trying to copy and paste (duplicate) my audio captures group into each scene - gaming, chatting, AFK, etc. When I paste (duplicate) the group, any adjustment I make in the scene is reflected across all of them that I've pasted it in. It's almost as if it's doing reference and not duplicate. Maybe I'm not understanding exactly how it's reading the source?

I just ran into this myself and thought I was going crazy

Suslik V

Some sources cannot be duplicated (they will use references to origin) - this is by design.
The Scene duplicate actually makes only references to the original sources that it contains (cannot do recursive copy).
The Group of sources also makes references to the original sources that it contains (cannot do recursive copy).
Some plugins allow only one instance etc. etc.

When you duplicate Group or Scene, only the Group and Scene duplicates - literally (not theirs contents)! This is programming stuff. Not intuitive from the user's side... Thus the filters, that belongs to the whole Group (or Scene), can be different. But sources itself are not duplicated - they still has the same filters.

Some sources cannot be duplicated (they will use references to origin) - this is by design.
The Scene duplicate actually makes only references to the original sources that it contains (cannot do recursive copy).
The Group of sources also makes references to the original sources that it contains (cannot do recursive copy).
Some plugins allow only one instance etc. etc.

When you duplicate Group or Scene, only the Group and Scene duplicates - literally (not theirs contents)! This is programming stuff. Not intuitive from the user's side... Thus the filters, that belongs to the whole Group (or Scene), can be different. But sources itself are not duplicated - they still has the same filters.
I just want you to know that I hate forums but specifically went out of my way to revive and old thread with a throwaway account to say FUCK YOU WHOEVER CAME UP WITH THIS SHIT, I SPENT HOURS COPY AND PASTING REFERENCE/DUPLICATE GROUPS ONLY FOR IT TO DO ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING DIFFERENT TO THE CONTENTS AND IT WAS DRIVING ME INSANE. I KNOW IM GETTING BANNED BUT AT LEAST SOMEONE WILL HAVE TO READ THIS ONCE FUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU THATS NOT HOW COPY AND PASTING A FOLDER WORKS, TELL YOUR FUCKING DEVS. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY HOURS I SPENT RECREATING SOURCES FROM SCRATCH BECAUSE YOUR FUCKING COPY AND PASTE IS SCUFFED? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

T68

Hi!
I am a bit frustrated too over the copy/paste functionality of grouped objects. When I have grouped, for example a couple of text sources and some color sources to make a byline object, and then want to use this as a template for new bylines I get into trouble. If I choose copy this group and then paste as duplicate I get a new group but the text objects in it are connected to the source text objects in the group I copied, as if these are pasted as references.

Marking the individual objects and copy/paste as duplicates works but then I have to group them etc which is a bit more work.
I hope this issue can be looked into in future releases.