Question / Help Single/Common Audio Source for Live MultiCam Stream

simspace

Hi All,

How can I use a single, common audio source in OBS for live MultiCam streams?

I'm am using OBS for live MultiCam streaming of my bands shows. I am using multiple iOS devices as IP camera's. The the video is streamed live to four services simultaneously - Facebook Live, Periscope, YouTube and Dailymotion - via an NGINX RTMP stream.

This process involves a MacBook Pro running OBS, NGINX, RTMP and FFMPEG. And the Live:Air Solo app is used to stream video from the iOS devices to OBS. I've been doing tons of testing over a 6 month period, and it's actually working pretty darn good! OBS for the huge win!

A stereo audio stream is sent from the mixing board to an external audio interface that is connected to the MacBook Pro via USB-C that is running OBS. The audio from the Live:Air Solo app running on the individual iOS devices is muted.

I'm trying to figure out the best or correct way to use a single, common audio source in OBS for consistent audio quality. I'd appreciate any hints, advice and instruction on how this can be done in OBS.

Thanks,
Chris

blinovitch

Personally, with the kind of setup and resources you describe, I'd be doing it the way you are. The next level up in process would be using a dedicated video switching device to select among your camera angles and bring in the audio feed from the audio mixer, to reduce the processing load on OBS. The switch would then send a single video/audio signal to the encoding device to stream out via your nginx server.

You say this setup has been working pretty well. Is there something about the audio that's giving you problems, like sync drift?

simspace

Personally, with the kind of setup and resources you describe, I'd be doing it the way you are. The next level up in process would be using a dedicated video switching device to select among your camera angles ... Is there something about the audio that's giving you problems, like sync drift?

Yeah, a dedicated switcher would be nice! But that's def. not in the budget.

I have not figured out how to use a single, common, constant audio source that's not bypassed when switching camera's.

OBS seems to want to use the audio for the currently selected camera. And they are muted.

This seems like it should be easy. I'm probably missing something obvious.

FreeKillZero

If you're bringing in RTMP sources, I'm wondering if it has to do with Media Source Properties... There's "Restart playback when source becomes active" and "Hide source when playback ends" which are enabled by default.

blinovitch

I have not figured out how to use a single, common, constant audio source that's not bypassed when switching camera's.

OBS seems to want to use the audio for the currently selected camera. And they are muted.

Have you muted the cameras in the audio mixer, the gear icon above the list of audio sources, or in the list of audio sources itself?