Resource icon

Free Simple Weather Overlay

Yaranaika_san

Yaranaika_san submitted a new resource:

Simple Weather Overlay. - Show the current weather of any place on your stream.

Simple Weather Overlay (SWO) allows you to show on stream the weather conditions of any city on Earth.
The data is recovered from OpenWeather's free API (you must provide your own API key)
You can use it by visiting http://swo.yaranaika.xyz/

Features:
  • Select between showing a simple or a specific weather description.
  • Choose the language to use (doesn't affect the simple weather description) Optional. Defaults to English.
  • Light and Dark Theme.
  • Choose if you want...

Read more about this resource...

Shinotama

Ok so in your example yours has the words "Min" "Max" and shows a higher temperature than the top value, mine doesn't have the words Min / Max and keeps updating to show the value of what it is currently also in the bottom right box, please help?!

Yaranaika_san

Ok so in your example yours has the words "Min" "Max" and shows a higher temperature than the top value, mine doesn't have the words Min / Max and keeps updating to show the value of what it is currently also in the bottom right box, please help?!
It should be fixed right now. I forgot to add them after the last update. :p

bradmiller

Hey, trying to get this working but when I insert all the details it just says city not found.
Openweather has the city listed on thier website so cant be a unlisted city.
The details I used are:
my key
City = Sandton
Country = South Africa
Language = English
Measure Units Format=Metric

bradmiller

Hey, trying to get this working but when I insert all the details it just says city not found.
Openweather has the city listed on thier website so cant be a unlisted city.
The details I used are:
my key
City = Sandton
Country = South Africa
Language = English
Measure Units Format=Metric
okay so it works when implemented just not on the preview.

Yaranaika_san

okay so it works when implemented just not on the preview.
Strange. It works in the preview on my side. Can't replicate with your data.
1592945128497.png

Maybe a temporal problem on OpenWeather's side. (?)
I will keep trying with different cities to see if I encounter this problem.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yaranaika_san

Yaranaika_san updated Simple Weather Overlay. with a new update entry:

Option for using next day's minimum temperature and fixed the temperature auto updater.

New features:
  • Added the option to use the next day's minimum temperature forecast. The explanation for this change is quoted below, also available from the main website on the new (why) button.
The OpenWeather's API this site uses doesn't keep the actual minimum temperature data of the day. Instead it changes the value to the minimum between the current hour and...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Yaranaika_san

Yaranaika_san updated Simple Weather Overlay. with a new update entry:

Geolocation button added and proper error messages.

New features:
  • Geolocation functionality: With the new button within the "city" field, you can now use your actual location without typing it manually. You can see how this works in this video https://i.imgur.com/jhViJ57.mp4
    Note: this is not 100% precise, so if you get the wrong place using this, you may reload the page and insert the data manually.
  • Proper error messages: Now, instead of getting the generic "City not found" (that...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Yaranaika_san

i have tried with 2 api keys and says bad api key

Example
Strange. I get no errors with your link. It shows me the temperature of Detroit.

One thing I've noticed when testing keys in OpenWeatherMap is that they don't work instantly when you create them. So that may be the cause of why the message "Bad API Key" was displayed.

Can you test if you get data from this link? https://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/onecall?lat=-33.6&lon=-70&appid=YOUR_API_KEY
you must replace "YOUR_API_KEY" with the key you got from OpenWeatherMap.

One last thing. You should remove the example link you provided. It contains your personal API key and it can be used by anyone.

Yaranaika_san

I've just noticed that you can't edit messages in this forum after some minutes. So please deactivate the API key you used in the example you sent and create a new one.

BWalton

I gave your weather overlay a try and it seems to work fine, although off a degree or two from local forecast but close enough, the temperature shows ok, a little dim but visible the "icons" for snow etc are very dim almost impossible to see is there a way to turn up the intensity ? I did change the background to black to match the date/time display not sure if that is the issue temp & icons are white.

Thanks
Bill

BWalton

Further to this here is what the snow icon looks like, you can see the temp is fine, strangely the "cloud" icon looks fine and does not have this problem.

Capture8.JPG

Yaranaika_san

I gave your weather overlay a try and it seems to work fine, although off a degree or two from local forecast but close enough, the temperature shows ok, a little dim but visible the "icons" for snow etc are very dim almost impossible to see is there a way to turn up the intensity ? I did change the background to black to match the date/time display not sure if that is the issue temp & icons are white.

Thanks
Bill
About the weather, it's OpenWeatherMap's data. It seems to be not-so-accurate (especially because it doesn't save the actual minimum temperature), but does the job. I could try toying with different APIs, but I selected the OWM's one because of it's free plan is more than enough.

Now, about the icons. These are provided directly from OpenWeatherMap's servers, so I can't change them. What I could try is to get alternative icons as an option, and/or drop shadows from the icons to separate them from the background. I'll post an update when I'm done.