Question / Help Should I install OBS Studio on my SSD or HDD?

MonkeyMasterB8

Soo... Just wondering if it would be more beneficial whether to install OBS Studio on my new SSD and have the local recording file saved onto my new HDD or to install it on my HDD and save it on my HDD... Or even install on SSD and save it on SSD (Though will have to move it to HDD either way xD)... I have zero experience when it comes down to this and I can't find any forums with a definitive answer.... All I want to know is which option would be the best quality wise, performance wise, hardware wise, really anything else, etc. Oh and just to let you know I am using OBS Studio mainly for local recordings (You know... Youtube and such...)

Last edited:

bilehazard

I do the same, OBS on SSD and recordings on a regular HDD. I also personally save my most important source images on my SSD and save hardly used stuff on my HDD

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
Does not matter, OBS is not reading any further data once started.
You can put your sources like images and overlays on the SSD to speed up loading but OBS itself will not benefit greatly from running on a SSD.

VanDuits

Does not matter, OBS is not reading any further data once started.
You can put your sources like images and overlays on the SSD to speed up loading but OBS itself will not benefit greatly from running on a SSD.
But the recording file itself will benefit from it.
The optimum setting is to choose a drive which has nothing to do except writing your file. You don´t want the mechanic of a HDD jump back and forth due to other jobs while recording.

MonkeyMasterB8

The optimum setting is to choose a drive which has nothing to do except writing your file. You don´t want the mechanic of a HDD jump back and forth due to other jobs while recording.

Oh no HDD is for storage only... While I have my OS and games on SSD... You know cause its 128GB SSD... Can't fit much on it xD... Though I am curious on how the recording file itself will benifit... Can you elaborate?

H4ndy

Forum Moderator

Sorry, but we are speaking of bitrates of maybe 50 to 100 MBit/s, which is about 6-13 MByte/s, every somewhat new HDD can write that away without breaking a sweat.

If you want to record totally lossless, then yes, you want a dedicated drive for it like back in the FRAPS days. But with x264 streams that is no issue anymore.