Question / Help Scene Selection Button Size

TroyTech

We are using an iPad and Splashtop for remote access to record meetings. All works very well, except that the selection area for each Scene is very small and difficult to use when changing cameras. Is there any way (plugin, menu setting, code tweak, etc.) that would allow the enlargement of the Scene 'touch button' area. Fat-fingering is almost inevitable! We used Wirecast before, but it didn't like our new IP cameras (wouldn't save the camera authentication info)...OBS works perfectly. The one advantage of Wirecast was that there were large thumbnail buttons to choose the camera. Many non-techie people using this, so switching back and forth using multi-view (which disappears when starting/stopping recording and streaming) isn't really an option. We can live with it, but a larger 'tap' area in Scenes on the iPad view would be welcomed.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Suslik V

You can alternate the OBS Studio UI theme. For this purpose, I recommend to make new user's custom theme (simply copy existing theme and give to .qss file a new name) and add to the end of the .qss file next code:
CSS:
QListWidget#scenes::item {
    min-height: 40px;
}
where the 40px is minimum height of the scenes list pane item in pixels.

Location of the default themes in obs: "data\obs-studio\themes" ( "data/obs-studio/themes" - mac)
Location of the custom themes in obs: "%appdata%\obs-studio\themes" ("~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/themes" - mac) - you need to create this folder manually, place new theme in it and restart OBS Studio to make new theme appear under the obs theme list.

Brief info on themes you can find in OBS Studio Help Guide: https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...ware-studio-multiplatform-help-guide-pdf.365/

The place, where you may share your custom themes for OBS Studio and look for .qss examples: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/categories/themes.10/

TroyTech

Thank you, Suslik V...worked like a champ! ...and that's coming from a pretty much strictly hardware guy. I'm not a coder, so kudos to your instructions.
Of course, you know what happens when you're good; another question.
We have somewhat the same issue with the buttons in 'Controls'. I looked through the whole .qss for 'Scenes' (formerly Acri...was our default and still exists as the Acri theme as well) and can't find 'Controls' listed anywhere like the QListWidget#scenes entry you had me make. Might the height of Controls buttons be modified in a similar way as Scenes? If so...where do I find them?
Thanks again for your help.

Suslik V

Not all buttons well configurable, because the 'Start Replay Buffer' is created inside the code and has no custom name or property assigned (this is long story why it has not...). There are solutions I know:
  • you can replace all buttons everywhere in the application by adding at the end of the .qss file:
CSS:
QPushButton {
    min-height: 30px;
}
----------
  • you can replace all buttons only in Controls by adding at the end of the .qss file:
CSS:
QDockWidget#controlsDock QPushButton {
}
----------
  • you can replace only needed buttons only in Controls by adding at the end of the .qss file:
CSS:
/* this replaces all buttons styles of Controls,
thus you can change the Start Replay Buffer button too... */
QDockWidget#controlsDock QPushButton {
}

/* ...and then force new styles of all other buttons (or only for some of them...)*/
QDockWidget#controlsDock QPushButton#streamButton,
QDockWidget#controlsDock QPushButton#recordButton,
QDockWidget#controlsDock QPushButton#modeSwitch,
QDockWidget#controlsDock QPushButton#settingsButton,
QDockWidget#controlsDock QPushButton#exitButton {
    min-height: 11px; /* or even lower, until text dissapear on docked pane resize */
    max-height: 16px; /* or maybe some other value here */
}

All classes and its names taken from: https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/blob/master/UI/forms/OBSBasic.ui and from other source code files of OBS Studio.

Barry Miller

We are using an iPad and Splashtop for remote access to record meetings. All works very well, except that the selection area for each Scene is very small and difficult to use when changing cameras. Is there any way (plugin, menu setting, code tweak, etc.) that would allow the enlargement of the Scene 'touch button' area. Fat-fingering is almost inevitable! We used Wirecast before, but it didn't like our new IP cameras (wouldn't save the camera authentication info)...OBS works perfectly. The one advantage of Wirecast was that there were large thumbnail buttons to choose the camera. Many non-techie people using this, so switching back and forth using multi-view (which disappears when starting/stopping recording and streaming) isn't really an option. We can live with it, but a larger 'tap' area in Scenes on the iPad view would be welcomed.
Thanks for any suggestions.
I am using a Surface Pro as a remote desktop to the computer where OBS is running. I would like to increase the size of the buttons to reduce fat fingering. I am running OBS 26.1.1. I saw an answer to this from 2018 but could not follow it and was wondering if there was any new information which would help. It talked about creating a new folder in Themes and editing .qss files. I could find the files but could not open them.