rtmp server/source addon

dping

i have not had a huge chance to check obs studio out but i thought that it would be neat to have obs have the ability to run as an rtmp server and ability to use it as a source. This would be practical, useful for almost anyone to use obs as either a client or a server. I personally would use this as a 2 pc setup but could also see this as a way to have lan streams with multiple clients to a single server that would stream it back out. This would also be good as the server could not only broadcast to ingests but also to rtmp clients in casting setups.

what do you think?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I don't think it's a great idea for OBS to ship with an RTMP server. It would add on unnecessary bloat that most users wouldn't use, and it doesn't even need to be OBS-specific software. I would rather someone make an all-in-one RTMP server package that makes RTMP server set up very easy so that people could get it up and running quickly. Once OBS supports FFmpeg input sources, adding RTMP inputs should be easy as well.

Last edited:

dping

Once OBS supports FFmpeg input sources, adding RTMP inputs should be easy as well.
Thats pretty much all I am wanting. and since you can multi source out, there is that as well. The server term was just to give people an understanding of the purpose, not necessarily the role of it. having ffmpeg input source is half that so thanks.