[Request] Variable frame rate for ffmpeg recording

HDL

Currently OBS forces constant frame rate, however this causes many frames to be lost as displays and sources output at variable rates.

An example of VFR recording done right would be Syphon Recorder with FPS set to "As Fast As Possible," which captures all frames upon arrival with different timestamps. This ensures that no frames are lost and the video is identical to what the source displays. I've tried various options like ffmpeg -vsync commands but nothing works.

HDL

ffmpeg handles it fine, which is what I use for all my transcoding. Not everyone has need to "edit" video. This is primarily for proper archival.

Boildown

TMPGEnc VMW 6 can handle VFR though

This software looks really cool. Can you show me where its documented that it handles VFR video though?

Next time I have a project to do I may switch to this instead of Sony Vegas. At least I'll use the 30 day trial version and see how it compares.

DeMoN

I've not looked up that, but I experienced it.
I had several Shadowplay Captures all being 4 to 5 hours long.
TMPGEnc did read them in as 60 CFR and was in sync. If it wouldnt handle VFR Inputs it would've been terrible out of sync with the audio.
But it reads them in as a CFR stream and you can output only in CFR. But thats what you want anyway if it's going to youtube.