Recording video Quality is so Bad

abdalla100

Hi
scince i installed obs and tried to use it i failed to get a good quality result of it's recorded video , i tried change settings almost every thing but no use
even high quality big size video and high bitrate giving same result
before i have been tried many of screen recording apps , all of them has better result . like you see a live screen not a recording , but here i feel resolution is low and color is faded little bit and there is some blur and low contrast , over all quality is not satisfying to me .
here is a log url of my last session
i returned to auto configured settings except video encoder i changed to x264

appreciate your help experts

Lawrence_SoCal

i returned to auto configured settings except video encoder i changed to x264
That log indicates an ancient mobile CPU (12 generations old?), with only 8GB RAM, and you are trying to use CPU encoding at 60fps, and that you ignored the big warning about NOT recording to MP4...
1. I don't assist people further after this post, without an updated log showing recording to MKV, like you are supposed to
2. drop to 30fps, and even then, probably tool old/slow a CPU, too little RAM, to get much of anything to work as you are thinking/hoping...
if Recording, hopefully you upgraded to a SSD rather than the HDD that system came with
3. probably need to use an older version of OBS Studio with that ancient GPU, *if* that GPU support encoding offload at all (something I'll leave to you to research further)
4. you'll likely need to master optimizing the operating system for an under-powered system

abdalla100

am just record light sessions like coding tutorials ,
my pc is good Iam using SSD and has no performance problem at any task
now I did the following :
1- I changed the output format to to MKV,
2- dropped fps to 30
here is the new log :
and here is comparison between another app and obs results just now
and you can notice how clear the output in other apps ,
obs output now little better quality but color is faded and there some sort of blur
Obs Results.png

RecExperts.png

qhobbes

1. One of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device): 48000 Hz
Microphone (2- High Definition Audio Device): 44100 Hz
2. Your Laptop has "two" GPUs. OBS is running on the weak integrated Intel GPU. For better performance as well as game capture being available you should run OBS on the dedicated GPU. Check the Laptop Troubleshooting Guide. Unless you are somehow coding directly on the Desktop, don't use Display Capture for coding tutorials. Only use Display Capture if you need to capture Windows stuff such as the Desktop, Taskbar and Start Menu.
3. If you don't have access to QSV (quick sync video), then you need to replace obs-qsv11.dll with older version version such as the one from 27 from in my sig. You can just use the zip with portable mode to see if it's there. If it is, just copy the obs-qsv11.dll from that version your latest installed version.

koala

The reason for your blurriness is the mismatch between your desktop resolution and the base resolution configured in OBS.
You have a monitor resolution of 1366x768 but set a base resolution of 1920x1080 in OBS Settings > Video. This way OBS first upscales your display capture sources from 1366x768 to 1920x1080. This makes the video blurry and inflates its size. Your media player than downscales this video again from 1920x1080 to your monitor of 1366x768, which also makes it slightly more blurry.

So go to OBS Settings > Video and change both base and output resolution to 1366x768. This avoids all scaling, making the video crystal clear. In case the resolution isn't in the dropdown list, just click into the field and type the numbers manually.

Lawrence_SoCal

am just record light sessions like coding tutorials ,
my pc is good Iam using SSD and has no performance problem at any task
the above advice from qhobbes and koala are must follows, and they both know way more than I do about OBS Studio

real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding. one way to help overcome this is using dedicated chips for this task, in this case, the H.264 encoder built into some GPUs (hence qhobbes #2 & 3 (for certain Intel CPUs) notes).

your latest log shows using CPU encoding, so I won't be surprised if you checked and your CPU is pegged at/near 100%?? Hopefully with switching your OBS Studio settings over to GPU encoding offload, that will improve significantly. And I'd also check how much paging the OS is doing (ie out of RAM)

My primary PC CPU is a not quite a year older older than yours (circa 2011... but desktop Xeon 6c/12t with 24GB RAM, multiple SSDs). And I run virtualization and multiple operating systems (Win 10 at host + 3 Win10 VMs easily) at same time. works great. I would NOT even consider attempting real-time video work on this system... absolutely not worth the hassle to me... but with certain significant caveats, doable as you can see from qhobbes .sig
- if you keep your OBS Studio settings simple, and avoid CPU demanding filters/effects, you will hopefully be ok. though probably not worth putting money into that ancient laptop, if you could add some RAM for super cheap, might be worth it?
- but do not under-estimate the amount of Operating System and OBS Studio specific expertise required if you are not diligent in managing your PCs real-time hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, Disk I/O) utilization, avoiding unnecessary background processes (and especially RAM consumption assuming CPU addressed with GPU encode offload), and basic operating system optimizations for an under-powered system.

The issue is that OBS Studio if free, open-source. So that means certain patented/proprietary encoding options (which lower hardware resource demands) aren't available. That may or may not matter to you. OBS Studio is a powerful compositing tool, so once you get started, it is not uncommon to want to continue to 'improve' your setup... and those improvements/sophistications often are hardware resource impactful... so you will need to temper your expectations. Good luck

abdalla100

Thanks you Lawrence_SoCal and qhobbes and koala for the great efforts and time spent to response my issue
the issue finally solved it was exactly as koala repliyed ,
The reason for your blurriness is the mismatch between your desktop resolution and the base resolution configured in OBS.
You have a monitor resolution of 1366x768 but set a base resolution of 1920x1080 in OBS Settings > Video. This way OBS first upscales your display capture sources from 1366x768 to 1920x1080. This makes the video blurry and inflates its size. Your media player than downscales this video again from 1920x1080 to your monitor of 1366x768, which also makes it slightly more blurry.

So go to OBS Settings > Video and change both base and output resolution to 1366x768. This avoids all scaling, making the video crystal clear. In case the resolution isn't in the dropdown list, just click into the field and type the numbers manually.

There was mismatch between the base and output resolution , i just did as Quala said and it has been resolved,
the issue before i was I am trying to Mach them but there was no option in the output field 1366x768 to match the source , i wasn't know that i can write it manually , long time of frustration but now thank guys , Iam happy with the result finally ,
There is verse in holy quran 21:7 said (Ask the people of knowledge, if you do not know.) that indeed correct, so thanks