Question / Help Recommended PC setup for streaming

100yengamer

Hello, I am newbie here and was hoping veterans here can recommend good setup

I would like to stream my video game play from Xbox360.
I own Elgato game capture HD and would like to use that to stream live to youtube.

I am going to build a dedicated stream PC and below are the hardware I am thinking of purchasing

MotherBoard: ASUS P8Z77-M LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Graphic Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Capture Card: AVerMedia C985 Live Gamer HD

If needed, I am thinking of buying capture card, however I read some thread that Elgato works fine with OBS.
Also wondering if it is necessary to have good GPU if I am only going to stream console games,,,I am not sure.

I would like to stream 720P, my current internet speed is 30MB down and 5MB up, will I be able to achive what I want with
these setup?

Please advise.

NewKID

you wont need a strong gpu unless you want to take advantage of the CUDA cores. imo is not worth the extra money. a gpu wont even be necessary in your build.

Floatingthru

Community Helper
For a dedicated stream pc that one will do 720P@60fps no problem at around 4000 bitrate if you wish to go that high assuming you have a constant 5 megabit upload. I recommend an internal pci-e capture card over any USB one. USB capture devices tend to have an inherent delay and can't do as high a quality capture due to the lack of bandwidth. I personally have a Live Gamer HD and it has always worked swimmingly with OBS. Yes the Elgato works, but you might run into A/V sync issues even though the latest OBS build have more or less squished it if you click the "use buffering" option.

A GPU is very important in OBS, and that one seems like the perfect one for OBS since you won't be actually playing any games with it. The rendering and downscaling is all done with the GPU which is why OBS is so fast compared to other streaming software. The CPU can be pushed more as it is only doing the encoding, and dealing with directshow devices like webcams.

100yengamer

So is this setup good enough?

NewKID said:
you wont need a strong gpu unless you want to take advantage of the CUDA cores. imo is not worth the extra money. a gpu wont even be necessary in your build.

I always thought OBS needed GPU in order to run it.....(DirectX10)

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
You do need a decent GPU, especially if you are using Game Capture to capture the game. If not, then it's not as necessary, but still helpful to have, since the GPU is also used to composite each scene to send to the encoder.

100yengamer

So which is better to use?

Elgato game capture HD?
or
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti ?

Also is my spec above good enough to stream 720P?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I would go for a 560ti over a 650ti, personally.

And you will still need a capture card to capture the console, so yes, you will need the Elgato or a PCI capture card like the AVerMedia Live Gamer HD in addition to the GPU.