Question / Help Problems With New 1440p: Color & Quality (Need Some "Expert" Advice)

TheWiseguy

My situation is weird and I could use help/feedback regarding the two issues I'm having.

Changed from 1080p monitor to 1440p monitor, made no changes to OBS Studio except what was necessary in scaling stream images but I'm having problems with both color and quality.

Colors: Look washed on stream, though exceedingly more vibrant on my current monitor than my other one, which was already great.

Quality: I'm seeing some pixelation that I was not with current settings using my other monitor, though smooth movement.

Specs:
  • Acer 27" 1440p IPS 2560x1440 144Hz
  • GTX 1080
  • i7-6700K 4.2GHz
  • 16GB DDR4

OBS Settings:
  • 48fps (division of 144; 72fps not possible without insane bitrate; 144Hz is 144/72/48 in equal division) which I was running on other 1080 monitor w/o a problem
  • 1280x720 downscale (again, same as I was previously)
  • 2600 Bitrate (which has always been more than enough for 48fps at 720 downscale; tried 2800 with same result)
  • CPU preset: faster (same as before)
  • DX11, NV12 Color Format, YUV 601 (all "Advanced" settings all on default, as usual)

I'm using this as my main monitor, obviously, so don't want to have to switch back to other monitor every time I stream, which would be ridiculous.

Since I'm downscaled to 720p as per usual, with a high bitrate, I don't understand the pixelation issue. It's not horrid, but noticeable compared to before. Movement is smooth, but it's not as clean and I definitely don't understand the issue with color looking a bit "washed out"; i.e. grass doesn't look nearly as green and blood doesn't look nearly as red.

I've streamed for over two years and an "tech savvy", but I'm at a loss here as to why this is happening.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

c3r1c3

Colors: Sounds like a setting in the Video playback options of the NVidia control panel.

Pixelation: Do you have an example of the 1440 vs 1080 that can be viewed?

TheWiseguy

Nothing is different or "wrong" in regards to the Nvidia CP that I notice, so I'm not sure to what you might be referring.

Are you saying that the coloration might not actually be "washed out", but that it looks that way for me?

I have a second monitor (third, actually) that is 1080p, excellent color, that I used to watch stream/chat and it looks the same there as well.

Watching vids in general on the new monitor looks fine otherwise. Excellent, actually.

When just gaming, the colors on this new monitor are exceptional.

Unfortunately, I don't have any comparison vids up at the moment. I can just tell you that, for some odd reason, I'm noticing more pixelation that I don't get on my 1080p monitor and the colors look a bit "washed out" streaming now. Watching other streams looks fine.

It looks similar to as if you were running at a slightly lower bitrate; not choppy, just a bit pixelated which, as stated, I didn't have until switching to this new monitor.

Last edited:

TheWiseguy

FYI... also having an issue with audio being out of sync, even with using Timestamp.

This monitor has speakers, but I've disabled them in Windows sounds, and the default audio device chosen everywhere in OBS is Realtech, as per usual and what I've always used.

Also, FYI... this monitor uses FreeSync. I'm not sure if that could be causing issue.

Perhaps because it dynamically adjusts framerates?

Though I'm always at a steady 144/72/48 depending on what I choose, due to the 1080, there's extremely little variation. But, with the sound being out of sync and the slight pixelation, on top of the coloration, I'm not sure what else could be causing the issue.

If I use another cord to connect the monitor, I can stop using FreeSync which is not big deal to me really, though it makes some difference.

c3r1c3

1. Don't use timestamps.
2. Try updating the Realtek drivers.
3. FreeSync doesn't work on NVidia GPUs (at least last time I checked).
4. Is your audio just out of sync, or does it drift out of sync?