Question / Help Problems recording in 1080p / 60FPS

IriquoisPliskin

Hello, i am writing this because i have a problem regarding recording.

I was drawn to OBS because of its enhanced customization options and support for a camera while recording. When i recorded my CS:GO footage with fraps i had no problems being able to record in 1080P and in 60FPS fluidly, although i may have had to turn down a few superficial in game settings to make it function. anyway i decided i was going to move to OBS, and had no problems recording in 1080P 30FPS, or 720P 60FPS, but when i try and do both it flips out. My game reports frame rates of 80-110FPS in game, and i experience barely any slowdown, but when i view my exported file i am treated to a stuttery, unwatchable result.

a few people with similiar problems are told their computers can't handle it but i know mine can because I've done it with fraps. I assume changing settings would make it work but ive got no idea exactly what settings to change, i tried a few and made no progress.

The log file I've included is a fresh install of OBS with my preferences already set, i have tried recording with it and gotten the usual result.

http://pastebin.com/Q4HcMFAA

IriquoisPliskin

your log is incomplete - no recording in it
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-make-high-quality-local-recordings.16/
the same as above link is simple output mode x264 low cpu option.
but my TLDR for you is to use QuickSync
enable vsync!

hmm, strange.

http://pastebin.com/3ZUpVpfN

i made a new recording so it can be "complete".

Also, CSGO's Vsync is different than most other game's Vsync, it doesnt limit framerate. however if its crucial i can do a command and limit it to 60 FPS ingame.

Quicksync? is that an OBS setting or an ingame setting.

Finally, i do believe that link you provided me is for OBS, not OBS studio. It doesn't help me very much.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
If you're running a Source engine game in borderless windowed mode vsync may not limit the FPS properly, in that case you should use the fps_max cvar.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
If you're getting 80-110 FPS then that's where you're hitting a bottleneck and why you would want to cap it lower, e.g. around 60. You should also consider using a hardware encoder like Quick Sync for recording to reduce the amount of work your CPU has to do. Use one of the recording presets for QSV in Settings > Output (Simple mode).

IriquoisPliskin

If you're getting 80-110 FPS then that's where you're hitting a bottleneck and why you would want to cap it lower, e.g. around 60. You should also consider using a hardware encoder like Quick Sync for recording to reduce the amount of work your CPU has to do. Use one of the recording presets for QSV in Settings > Output (Simple mode).

Alright, quicksync, again, how do i enable this. is it something thats already in the OBS settings because if it was i would EXPECT it to be under Settings>Output>Streaming>Encoder, which it isnt, theres only the option for x256 (software)

*amendment*

Is quicksync a CPU hardware encoder or a GPU hardware encoder, because my CPU is intel and my GPU is AMD, as stated in the logs i posted.

IriquoisPliskin

Okay, after fucking around for a bit i enabled the iGPU and installed the drivers. My recording is now effortlessly smooth, however, the recording at the default bitrate sucked. I have to turn my bitrate to ludicrous levels to get good recording. i havent tested performance all that much yet, will tell, but for now my bitrate is set to 7000.

IriquoisPliskin

alright, more testing confirms. 7000 is a viable bitrate, ive tried 10000 and thats viable but im simply not comfortable with a bitrate that high being stable so i keep it down. furthermore, my camera quality sucks at times, does obs set gameplay bitrate over other sources? lastly, what would be the advantages of leaving variable bitrate off be? if i turned it on would my situation be better or worse?

IriquoisPliskin

alright, after thirty minutes of recording i found none of my disk space was being used. i checked the file sizes and jesus christ, im getting thirty minute 1080P 60FPS videos under a gigabyte, about 15% of the filesize fraps used to take. could this be part of my problem? also i can make a new log if you want

IriquoisPliskin

yes you are
19:51:25.672: rate_control: CBR
19:51:25.672: target_bitrate: 7000

switch to advanced output mode choose QSV and see what do you have available under Rate Control menu
from my last link :
For local recording, use LA ICQ -> ICQ -> CQP -> LA (VBR) -> AVBR -> VBR -> CBR
It depends on your hardware which algorithms are available.

IriquoisPliskin

yes you are
19:51:25.672: rate_control: CBR
19:51:25.672: target_bitrate: 7000

switch to advanced output mode choose QSV and see what do you have available under Rate Control menu
from my last link :
Code:
For local recording, use LA ICQ -> ICQ -> CQP -> LA (VBR) -> AVBR -> VBR -> CBR
It depends on your hardware which algorithms are available.

jfc, i could have sworn i turned it off. i think it was a check box, but now that i look in the list its now a drop down list, so now ive confused myself.maybe i didnt turn it off.

anyways my rate controls are CBR, ABR, VBR, and CRF. also, does the settings i change under "streaming" apply to when i record? because wew thats weird if it does.

you cant have CRF in quicksync :) change encoder to QuickSync H264 and check this drop down menu again

yes setting might have reset for stream when you switch to advanced mode, check them

IriquoisPliskin

you cant have CRF in quicksync :) change encoder to QuickSync H264 and check this drop down menu again

JFC, OBS settings piss me off. because i set it to quicksync in one menu i assume it does it in the other. so i see the encoding deal, ive got the option for quicksync, x264, and AMD video coding engine. out of curiousity, is AMD video coding any good?

anyways, my QUICKSYNC rate controls are CBR, VBR, CQP, and AVBR.

okay then set it as on attached picture. you may want to try parameters of 22 for better quality
if you want to stick with CBR then 15k, 25k, 50k bitartes are low, med and high quality for 1080p60

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7 KB · Views: 29

IriquoisPliskin

okay then set it as on attached picture. you may want to try parameters of 22 for better quality
if you want to stick with CBR then 15k, 25k, 50k bitartes are low, med and high quality for 1080p60

tried your settings, didnt work, got the same results as i had before i went to quicksync. what do