Question / Help Problem w/ sound when capturing with webcam.

Blucatt

Hello all. I'm new to OBS and, of course, new to this forum, so sorry if I've made any rookie mistakes.

I downloaded OBS because I heard it had a webcam overlay function, which I want for the type of video I'm doing. I want to put the webcam recording in the corner of my video while I play through the game, if that makes sense. I fiddled around and looked at the FAQ's to figure out how to work it, and eventually I figured out a way to do it. At first, the recording stopped after a few seconds and it gave me a "High Encoding" warning, but as per the advice of a Youtube video, I fixed that by going into Task Manager and setting OBS and the game to "above average" priority.

After that I figure that everything is fixed, so I go on and record my 1-hour-long first episode of my Let's Play. Once I go on to edit it is when I find out about my problem. When not inside the game, my voice came through clearly, but once I opened up the game, you could barely hear my voice at all. I tried messing around with the equalizer and a couple other things, but I just couldn't get it to sound right. So I was like "Whatever, I didn't get that far in the game anyways", and I was looking to see if I could fix if I recorded again. I tried turning down the volume in the game, but it seems like it lowered the volume of my voice every time I entered the game. So I went downstairs and got my headset that I usually use for audio recordings on my desktop computer and voice chatting with my PS3. I tried using that as the voice recording device instead, but then it ended up sounding echo-y. I tried a bunch more things, including setting the audio for the Video Capture Device to the headset, rather than that of my computer. But everything I tried just created more problems, and eventually I got frustrated and decided to ask about it on the forum the next day, which is now.

What do you think I should try? Is it some average mistake that's right under my nose that I'm just not realizing? If it's important, the game in question is The Sims 3, the headset was a Turtle Beach PLA headset (I probably have another headset lying around, though), the webcam is attached to my laptop, and my laptop is just an ordinary HP laptop. Also, I'm not sure if I did this right, but here is my log file: https://gist.github.com/f3aa41cf55c7ce2624bc4febdf7afbcc

c3r1c3

Thank you for the log.

The echo-y-ness of using your headset because you had the headset mic enabled twice in OBS. Once in the Settings->Audio area (which is correct), and again in the webcam device->Audio properties (which is incorrect, and adds a delay to the audio being processed), hence the delay/echo.

Mute/disable your webcam mic when using the headset.

Also don't set the video capture device (i.e. your webcam's) audio to a different audio device. That only creates issues.

As to your voice going down when playing a game, try selecting "do nothing" on the Communications tab of the Sound Properties window (right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray->Recording devices->Look at the top, find the tab "Communications").

Also in that same dialog box, go back to the Recording tab, find your mic/headset, select it and click on properties button, in the new dialog box go to the last tab (Advanced) and uncheck both boxes in the "Exclusive Mode" area.

Odds are, using your headset will provide higher quality audio then using a webcam mic.

Also use Studio, not Classic (Classic is dead), and if (for some weird reason) you choose to stick with Classic, use AAC for the audio, not MP3.

Blucatt

Thank you for the log.

The echo-y-ness of using your headset because you had the headset mic enabled twice in OBS. Once in the Settings->Audio area (which is correct), and again in the webcam device->Audio properties (which is incorrect, and adds a delay to the audio being processed), hence the delay/echo.

Mute/disable your webcam mic when using the headset.

Also don't set the video capture device (i.e. your webcam's) audio to a different audio device. That only creates issues.

As to your voice going down when playing a game, try selecting "do nothing" on the Communications tab of the Sound Properties window (right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray->Recording devices->Look at the top, find the tab "Communications").

Also in that same dialog box, go back to the Recording tab, find your mic/headset, select it and click on properties button, in the new dialog box go to the last tab (Advanced) and uncheck both boxes in the "Exclusive Mode" area.

Odds are, using your headset will provide higher quality audio then using a webcam mic.

Also use Studio, not Classic (Classic is dead), and if (for some weird reason) you choose to stick with Classic, use AAC for the audio, not MP3.

Thank you for the information. How do I switch from Studio to Classic?