Question / Help Prioritizing audio over video

Donatien Sade

Hi All,

I wonder if there is a way to prioritize audio over video streaming when the Internet speed drops.
I stream live jam sessions so a smooth audio transmission is very important and more important than the video.
During my first stream, everything was fine except towards the end were the audio got chopped and scrambled.

Useful Notes:
- I did run the initial script and use the "ideal" configuration the script picked.
- I stream a pre-recorded video & audio, from a MOV file.

Cheers,

Miguel

Attachments

• 2019-08-07 21-08-17.txt
    124 KB · Views: 28
Correction: While it's true that ingest servers expect a constant bitrate, there is a difference between reducing such constant bitrate dynamically and encoding a stream with a variable bitrate. That was an error on my part which I also clarified in a later response.

Original post:

IIRC most streaming service's ingest servers don't play nice with variable bitrates, but require a constant bitrate. So if OBS would reduce video bitrate to allow the audio bitrate to stay at a high enough level, your stream would have a variable bitrate.

Another option would be to split audio and video into two separate RTMP streams (which isn't something that any service supports right now), but even then the variability issue for the video stream would persist

Last edited:

Donatien Sade

Hi TylerDurd0n,

I see... it makes sense, then.

I guess the solution is to just get a better/faster Internet connection.

Thanks for your reply,

Miguel