Plugin request for music teachers using OBS

OBSnewby

Hi, Im aware a vast majority of guys are using obs for gaming, but there are others like me that use OBS as main software to record our music videos and/or broadcast live.

For those music teachers, I have a plugin or function request that maybe you could contemplate?

I do drum videos and live lessons with multicameras and written music with obs (ie. drum patterns and rhythms) so the student can watch me play from different angles and see the drum tab of what Im playing. I do this by having 2 screen monitors, using one for my music editor software whit drum tab exercises, which then it is captured with obs as a scene superimposed with my video cameras. The other monitor is for OBS live view.

In music teaching, many lessons include 4-5 or more individual exercises that must be read in a row.
When doing a lesson, it is frustrating to have to stop playing and scroll the drum tab to another exercise...it makes the lesson longer, killing the lesson fluidity... so the idea is having a plugins or function added to OBS so a scene roundtrip could be set not in seconds, but in BEATS (metronome clicks)

So we need a plugin metronome inside OBS. Here is what for:
To music teachers like me it would be great having like a round trip function that switches selected scenes in a programmed order but with a function that allow us to switch to scenes in metronome clicks. S

So I set a tempo of the metronome and make a roundtrip so the scene changes after four 4/4 bars (16 beats). I press a PLAY button so the metronome and the roundtrip starts and thats all. Music teachers will be able to play and show different music tabs switching between them without the need of stopping. This will improve our music videos in great manner.

I hope I can make my mind clear explaining it. If you are a teacher and think could be interesting having this plugins roundtrip/metronome feature (or if you are a music student and would love seeing more fluid and less extensive music tutorials or live lessons), have ideas or improvements to this feature, please comment here.

Really thanks
drum!

Fenrir

Forum Admin
The advanced scene switcher plugin should be able to accomplish an approximation of this already, as you can set scene switches on a timer. You'd have to calculate the seconds required (and I'm not sure if it allows anything but whole seconds, so you might not be able to do 1.5 seconds, but can try!), but it should accomplish a similar effect.

Give it a shot and see how it works!

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/automatic-scene-switching.395/

OBSnewby

The advanced scene switcher plugin should be able to accomplish an approximation of this already, as you can set scene switches on a timer. You'd have to calculate the seconds required (and I'm not sure if it allows anything but whole seconds, so you might not be able to do 1.5 seconds, but can try!), but it should accomplish a similar effect.

Give it a shot and see how it works!

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/automatic-scene-switching.395/

Hey Fenrir. Thanks!
I know, but without a metronome click as tempo guide will be impossible to play and make obs switches to another scene just when it is needed...and calculating music tempos in seconds will be really hard, since most of the time we use different time signatures, which will make calculating a hole lesson of lets say 5 exercises like a math problem... lol.

I realize we are close with actual roundtrips, but maybe some dev that plays some instrument could understand what useful could be the idea I came up with. Could you comment this so devs know this idea? Really thanks!

Fenrir

Forum Admin
OBS only really has one main developer with a supporting community. While it's a nice idea, I'm not sure that anything like this would be able to be added anytime soon. There are many other higher priority items. For something like this, you might try reaching out on a site like upwork.com to find a C/C++ developer who can make you something if you need it anytime soon.

OBSnewby

OBS only really has one main developer with a supporting community. While it's a nice idea, I'm not sure that anything like this would be able to be added anytime soon. There are many other higher priority items. For something like this, you might try reaching out on a site like upwork.com to find a C/C++ developer who can make you something if you need it anytime soon.
Nice, I will do that!
Ive seen on OBS RESOURCES forum that there is a ton of plugins an authors on the platform. Do you know how to contact them or post my idea so they can check it out?
thanks!

Fenrir

Forum Admin
This is about the best way, but most plugin authors are writing plugins that solve issues they personally have, and then share them with the rest of the community in case anyone else has a similar issue. I've moved this thread to the resource requests section since that fits this post a bit more.

OBSnewby

This is about the best way, but most plugin authors are writing plugins that solve issues they personally have, and then share them with the rest of the community in case anyone else has a similar issue. I've moved this thread to the resource requests section since that fits this post a bit more.
Really thanks Fenrir. Could you give me the link of that resource request section? I couldnt find it.
Thanks!

PS. Ive take a look to upwork.com. What programming language do OBS use, in order to search a freelancer programmer to make the plugin I need...C++?

Fenrir

Forum Admin
C and C++, yes.

This is the resource request section now, I already moved the thread for you. You can see at the top of this post it shows the section. :)

pkv

Developer
hi,
this might be a workaround, not being a musician I can't say for sure:
YouTube live has multicamera capabilities. If you start several encoders (e.g. two instances of OBS or OBS and another encoder), you end up on your YT channel with a main view and several others to which your watchers can switch.
You then instruct them to switch orally.
Not as good as commanding yourself the switching though ; and it would use more bandwidth.
Depending on your internet condition this may or may not be feasible.