Question / Help Please recomend dedicated rig for youtube 1920x1080 30fps

ReBreaker

Hello, I need some rig for streaming video to youtube. All switching will be done in atem television studio, so my only problem is to grab signal from hdmi and encode it for youtube. I've already have AVERMEDIA live gamer HD lite pci-e from previous setups. Could somebody please recomend me some CPU, RAM size, and GPU for streaming to youtube in 1920x1080 30fps? I am aming for dedicated rig running OBS and ubuntu and streaming only one source. It wouldn't do anything else. Thank you for all your advices.

I assume you've used the Avermedia in Linux before? In my searches for capture hardware they weren't even on the list of Linux supported hardware, though that may have changed, it has been 3 years or so since I last looked.

But as for what level of hardware you need to stream from a dedicated box, I would say either an i5 or Ryzen 5 would be plenty of CPU horsepower. 8GB of RAM seems to be the minimum recommended for any build these days, and that's plenty for streaming, even if you're dragging in browser-based sources such as Twitch chat.

As for GPU, I don't think you need one, unless the CPU you choose doesn't have integrated video. OBS is fairly light on graphics horsepower when it's not pulling game footage from the GPU. I know some people would disagree on this point, but they are generally in the category of people who don't get down in the weeds of where performance actually counts. I've found on almost any graphics card, OBS tends to use a higher percentage of PCIe bandwidth than it does actual GPU time, and that's entirely due to the capturing.

welshdemon

Any more info on this from anyone?

Or Ranko, how have you found HDMI capture cards streaming 24/7, I have not had much luck. I tried with:

Elgato HD 60 on Windows,
and BlackMagic Design Intensity Pro HDMI on Linux

both have problems with audio going out of sync over time, maybe 24-48 hours it gets so bad (maybe 1 second or something) and the audio sometimes completely stop working.
This is only with OBS, XSplit seems to keep the sound in sync, but in general I much prefer OBS so am looking for a solution.

Do you have any info on reliable HDMI capture card for 24/7 streaming?

Thank you