Bug Report Planetside 2 CTD after stream/recording starts

sparr

Hi

I have a problem with Planetside 2 stream and recording in OBS.

I'm using OBS for a year or more now and never had any problems till now.

Maybe it is related to new NVidia drivers (337.81). When I start stream/recording to local file game crashes to desktop without any error and OBS is still working.

Other games I've tested (i.e. Shadowrun Returns, Diablo III) all is ok. This problem is only in Planetside2.

Thiss occurs whatever I chose as a codec - normally I've streamed with Intel Quick Sync, but the same situation is with x264)

here is my log of today's trial

http://pastebin.com/rMZPBjcv

sparr

In addition I would like to add, that when I switch from game capture to monitor capture all is ok... but I must to play in fullscreen window (borderless) then...
Anyway... In this situation I couldn't use Shadowplay (sometimes I want to record last couple minutes of play) - so I don't want to use this workaround.

Can you look into it ?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
When a game crashes due to game capture, it's usually either one of two things:

1.) Due to a conflicting hook, such as another capture program active that you may have installed, graphics mods (like sweetfx), programs that put custom overlays on the in-game stuff (such as mumble or teamspeak overlays, disable them), or graphics adapter utilities like msi afterburner or EVGA software which can also hook in to games for statistical reasons.

2.) Sometimes anti-cheat can cause crashes, also try the 'anti-cheat compatibility' option in game capture.

sparr

Yes I know that other overlays crashes game.

That's why
1. I don't use: TS3 overlay (without TS3 running, problem still exist)
2. MSI afterburner without RTSS installed (anyway - disabling MSI afterburner didn't helps)
3. Steam overlay disabled
4. Xfire game overlay disabled

As I said, OBS works fine ~3 weeks ago, then i wan to stream and... bam Planetside2 crashes to desktop.
Strange that it works well with other games...

Only things I've changed from the last working time was NVidia drivers and there were some game patches.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Steam overlay is actually different in that it doesn't need to be disabled, it's safe. I have to say though I'm not entirely sure what's going on in your case. I still feel like there must be a new conflict that only just recently occurred. Like I said, that's really the only way it can cause a crash, because the code for game capture didn't change (it was briefly changed in 0.62 but we reverted it to the original code in later versions so the latest version now runs identical code that it used to run way back when)

Seems like you have a lot of programs installed that could cause a conflict, sometimes they will still have their overlay hook active even when the program itself isn't running. They add a 'service' to windows to make it add those hooks to ensure it'll hook in to any game running. Which one might be doing this I don't quite know. I'd probably have to see the system myself to know for sure.

sparr

I must say that I've tried almost everything... disabled all programs that were in background and I don't need them. Double checked all programs with overlays to not load, also checked all services - dissabled NVdia stream service...

Nothing helped.

Strange thing that once for a ten or fifteen times its working, but... I cant reproduce it next time...

I think something is wrong with Planetside2 after last updates... As I said other games working well with all programs working in background

Ling1231

Same thing for me, it used to work fine and now it crashes to desktop every time I preview or stream. I do not use any overlay, no afterburner or precision, no steam or x fire. The only change to my PC was the newest Nvidia beta drivers. IO also tried an older version of OBS and it is doing it as well.

Krazy

Town drunk
Does it still happen on the non-beta drivers? I had many issues with games crashing while trying to use Game Capture when I installed the beta drivers. I had to use driver sweeper to clean everything out before things worked properly again, very obnoxious.

Ling1231

Yes I just tried an older whql driver 331.82 and it still does the same thing. I know that this is the driver that I was using before when it worked for me. I just found a work around for it. I forced Planetside 2 to run in 32 bit mode and it didnt crash when I previewed it or started the stream. I have no clue at all as to what the issue is and its probably way over my head but at least I can get it to stream in 32 bit even though its a pain in the butt to do everytime I launch the game.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Could you also try 'anti-cheat compatibility' in the latest version?

Ling1231

I have tried it both ways as well and the only thing that I can do is force 32 bit to make it work. Once I open the launchpad and log in I have to rename the planetside2x64.exe to planetside2x64old.exe and change planetside2.x86.exe to planetside2x64.exe and hit play. For whatever reason it doesnt crash when I run it like that. I have also tried the 32 and 64 bit OBS but that didnt change anything.

sparr

I have tried it both ways as well and the only thing that I can do is force 32 bit to make it work. Once I open the launchpad and log in I have to rename the planetside2x64.exe to planetside2x64old.exe and change planetside2.x86.exe to planetside2x64.exe and hit play. For whatever reason it doesnt crash when I run it like that. I have also tried the 32 and 64 bit OBS but that didnt change anything.

I've done exactly the same.

ExitSign

I need to check this out this with more planetside 2 users.

Hey Jim,

I'm a PS2 player and a little bit acquainted with the graphics capture hook source code (I can modify / compile / test obs as well).

Anything I can try?

I do not have this issue by the way, although I have the same setup as sparr (GTX card / latest drivers / etc). I can work with sparr if you give me some pointers / something to try.

sparr

New driver does nothing... still same issue.
I think that I must stay with 32bit version of planetside2 till finding some solution

Ling1231

I tested is it on a Windows 7 PC and it worked fine and I can now also get it to work on my Windows 8.1 PC in 64 bit mode if I run both OBS and Planetside 2 in compatibility mode for Windows 7.