Picture-in-Picture Scene Switcher

thusup

I frequently stream and record with a picture-in-picture on the screen. I'd like to be able to switch which source is the primary pane and which source is the secondary pane in an animated way. I was thinking:
  1. Source A fills white area (the primary pane) and Source B fills the black area (the secondary pane)
  2. a picture-in-picture transition is requested
  3. Source B resizes to fill the secondary pane
  4. the secondary pane is no longer visible as the source filling it has covered the whole screen
  5. Source A fades in to the secondary pane locaion
  6. the primary pane and the secondary pane have now completed switching
The white is the area of the screen dedicated to the main picture. The black area of the screen is dedicated to the small picture.
pip.gif

EDIT: Replaced image with GIF

Last edited:

thusup

The motion filter will help me get part of what I was looking for. I'll keep experimenting to see if I can come up with something I like.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
You could probably use a Stinger transition for that where the entire stinger is transparent. Other than that, you could probably have a script use a delay before calling the Cut transition. I don't know of any other way to delay a Cut transition, currently.

MacTartan

You may be interested in UP Deck (check it out in resources). If not, you can download and take a look at the Lua script : it has all the code required for the effect, so you could create your own script.

• resize the small object to full screen.
  • hide, reposition and resize the object which is now at the back.
  • bring that object to the front.
  • fade in the object visibility.

Here's a very quick demo based on your example from above;

compostelajr

You may be interested in UP Deck (check it out in resources). If not, you can download and take a look at the Lua script : it has all the code required for the effect, so you could create your own script.

• resize the small object to full screen.
  • hide, reposition and resize the object which is now at the back.
  • bring that object to the front.
  • fade in the object visibility.

Here's a very quick demo based on your example from above;

YES UP Deck is top notch, one of the best OBS tools. Can't recommend it enough.