Question / Help Orange Screen Using DroidCam as a Video Capture Device

ghostiecat

Since updating yesterday, instead of my webcam I now have a orange screen. I'm able to get my built in webcam to show but the droidcam I have connected via usb just shows an orange screen. Anyone know what's going on here? Prior to the update I had no issues.

ghostiecat

Similar but as far as I can tell there's no solution for the video sourcing not working.

I was able to source the camera just fine without the workaround (which is not a great work around in the first place considering the window border and the way the popout image sometimes glitches and doesn't fit the window) prior to the most recent update. I would like to be able to do so again.

Saint Davids AV

I am now having this same problem on one of my computers.
the laptop is a dell e5430 the phone is an acer liquid zest just orange screen.
Yesterday it worked fine no updates had been preformed on either device.
the other test computer is a lenovo s400 ideapad same phone. it works correctly (currently)

they are both running the same version of OBS studio 20.1.3 and the same version of droid cam client 6.0.0 everybody is on same wifi
I can connect to the lenovo and as soon as the droidcam client connects, boom, perfect live image.
disconnect the phone from the ideapad and try the same on the dell and nothing but the orange box. I need the Dell to work! I do NOT want to just capture the window as the quality as sizing is so inconsistent.
what or where do I look at to fix

Saint Davids AV

I love answering my own question.
the orange box must mean the video format or resolution is invalid or not compatible someway.
I sat and tried to figure out what was different between the 2 machines and what had I done from the time I tested the free version of droidcam and droidcamx
on the lenovo I had tried to see if the image would be better if i ran at 720p so I watched the video ad to "unlock for this session" I didn't notice a difference by the way. how ever I went ahead and bought the paid version so I could get zoom.

on the website for droidcam I found a tiny little blurb about toggling HD and about running the exe as admin so I ran it and rebooted the computer as required and BOOM full screen HD 16:9 within OBS Studio every time without having to use the window capture! Thank you so much for your help kudo's etc

judeAB

I know this reply is too late but if anyone is still having problems what i did was just pop out the preview window and use window capture instead. It works flawlessly

AndreB

Thanks Saint Davids AV!!!
These steps worked for me:
I fully uninstalled droidcam client, per a different user.
I fully uninstalled OBS, per a different user.
Reinstalled Droidcam client.
Reinstalled OBS.
Ran Droid Cam client *AS ADMIN* as you said.
Launched OBS. Orange screen still present.
Rebooted PC, as you said.
Relaunched Droid Cam client as my regular user.
Launched OBS. Instantly and for the first and only time OBS finally 'sees' droid cam video as a camera...and no orange block. No fidgitting with OBS settings anywhere and no needing to launch a separate DroidCam-X pop up window along with its unprofessional looking title bar. WooHoo!! Plus, the resolution in the floating pop up gets foobar when resizing that window. Using OBS correctly preserves proper resolution.
Anyhow I registered an account just to say thanks to you and all who posted ideas about resolving the orange box :)
And thanks too to OBS developers for creating such a cool tool. Now to figure how to actually get good at using it. If only there were an app for that. Lawnmower Man style :P
Btw, I bought a C920 as my primary webcam a while ago. Since then I have been trying to create a b-roll camera for very rare use without having to buy an expensive external Canon camera or rent cameras. Droidcam-x works for setting up a b-roll camera using my older laptop and an Android phone for those rare moments I need a b-roll camera. So thanks x2 :)

Last edited:

antalpeter

You need to install DroidCamOBSSetup.03.exe plugin to use Droidcam OBS. If you done you will see in the source list: DroidCam OBS. You need to turn off Video Capture device as source to diappear orange screen

I had the same problem... the cause it's that i've installed DroidCam Client with another user... to fix: uninstall DoidCamClient, reboot windows and reinstall DroidCam Client with "run as administrator" option. It works! :D Symo