obs-websocket - Remote-control OBS Studio using WebSockets

obs-websocket - Remote-control OBS Studio using WebSockets 5.0.1

I expanded the existing OBS-Remote: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/open_obs_remote.65455/#post-286858
However I am facing the need of following function:
"To be able to send a request via the WebSocket, so that OBS is NOT in Studio Mode. Only one screen is allowed to be visible. If not, and OBS is in Studio Mode (two screens are visible) the Transistion button is needed to be pressed and this is missing in the WebSocket ."
Can this be added?

Hi Palakis. Noticed that there is a command to switch off studio mode. However tried it but get an error response.

Request send:
{"request-type":"DisableStudioMode","message-id":"TEST1"}.

And received back is:
{
"error": "invalid request type",
"message-id": "TEST1",
"status": "error"
}

Can you tell what is wrong with the request? (PS: None of the 4 StudioMode requests work)

Last edited:

ThatGirlSlays

Hi, I just downloaded the plugin. I have OBS Studio installed in my C drive Program Files but I get the error message when launching the OBS Remote installer "OBS Remotes requires that Open Broadcast Software be already installed. It is installed so what's the deal?

You first need to start OBS itself. What I do is that in the setting, I have ticked that it will start-up minimized in the task bar. Afte OBS itsel is running, you can start up OBS Remote.

ThatGirlSlays

You first need to start OBS itself. What I do is that in the setting, I have ticked that it will start-up minimized in the task bar. Afte OBS itsel is running, you can start up OBS Remote.

My OBS Remote won't even install. It fails during the Wizard. I tried installing it with and without OBS running. It tells me I need to install OBS first.

Steps:
1) Install OBS itself.
2) Install OBS Websocket server addon
3) Just unzip OBS_Remote in a folder. No need to install. Just double click on OBS_Remote to run. Also read instruction of the Original OBS_Remote how to use. You need to have the .dll and .ico and .exe and ,ini files all in the same directory.

ThatGirlSlays

Steps:
1) Install OBS itself.
2) Install OBS Websocket server addon
3) Just unzip OBS_Remote in a folder. No need to install. Just double click on OBS_Remote to run. Also read instruction of the Original OBS_Remote how to use. You need to have the .dll and .ico and .exe and ,ini files all in the same directory.

I appreciate your reply but I'm still not getting it.

1.) Check. I've had OBS installed for a while now.
2.) I grabbed the websocket installer at https://github.com/Palakis/obs-websocket/releases/tag/4.0.0 (found after searching this forum for "OBS Websocket plugin"). I installed the websocket plugin.
3.) I have a file called obs_remote_1.12_installer that I got off this forum. I tried launching that and again it tells me OBS needs to be installed.

Not sure what step I'm missing.

A) "obs_remote_1.12_installer"
Seems you are talking about: http://www.obsremote.com/
If so then we are mixing up two different remote programs. "My" remote (started initially by Andy Racer) does not need an installer.
I also realize we are chatting in the obs-websocket threat. Would be better to do that in one to the Remote threats itself. Any how here is the threat I am talking about.
In this threat just download the most recent ZIP file:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/open_obs_remote.65455/#post-286858
Assuming you mean "my" OBS_Remote, than continue with B+C below, else you need to go to another threat.

B) Installation and configuration:
Did you edit the file "OBS_Remote.ini"?
In here you need to fill in the IP address of the computer on which OBS(itself) is installed.
If OBS(itself) is on the same PC as OBS_Remote, than you can fill in either the actual network IP address of the computer, or just "127.0.0.1", as this is the default internal host IP address of the computer.

C) Using:
- First start up OBS itself.
- Second start up OBS_Remote.

Please let me know how you are doing.

Greeting form the Netherlands.

Last edited:

ThatGirlSlays

In regards to my previous comment, yes I was trying to use the wrong OBS remote. I have been successfully using this websocket now for a few days to change my scenes and sources using Deepbot.

Now, unfortunately, I bought a new Elgato Stream Deck and the websocket is not incompatible. I am running the websock on port 4444 with authentication required as required by Deepbot and everything was running fine until I installed the ESD software. I would like to have both in place (Stream Deck for me to control scene at the push of a button and the websocket so my mods/subs can control my scene with chat commands). Any one have a way to get them both to work?

ThatGirlSlays

In regards to my previous comment, yes I was trying to use the wrong OBS remote. I have been successfully using this websocket now for a few days to change my scenes and sources using Deepbot.

Now, unfortunately, I bought a new Elgato Stream Deck and the websocket is not incompatible. I am running the websock on port 4444 with authentication required as required by Deepbot and everything was running fine until I installed the ESD software. I would like to have both in place (Stream Deck for me to control scene at the push of a button and the websocket so my mods/subs can control my scene with chat commands). Any one have a way to get them both to work?

Here is an email response from Elgato support

Thank you for contacting Elgato Systems.

I would be happy to help you with the issue where using the Elgato Stream Deck conflicts with the OBS Websocket Plugin.

The Elgato Stream Deck is designed to integrate with the default multimedia actions on Windows and MacOS, as well as a few specific applications such as OBS Studio. Not every application has been included, and we haven't tested every plugin that is compatible with those applications that currently are included. We cannot guarantee that every application or plugin will work.

What I can do is forward your case to our senior technicians to see if the OBS Websocket Plugin can be made compatible, and if not, whether it might be added in a future release of the Stream Deck software. I can also forward your questions about why it conflicts with the OBS Websocket Plugin currently.

I hope this helps. If there is anything else I can do to help, please feel free to let me know.

Best,

Elgato Technical Support

Palakis

Developer
obs-websocket is a completely different beast than OBSRemote. Plus you can't install OBSRemote (Bill Hamilton's plugin for OBS Classic) on OBS Studio.

Regarding that Stream Deck issue, a quick process and binary analysis of the Stream Deck plugin for OBS shows no use of WebSockets and rather a use of Shared Memory to communicate with the Stream Deck app. Nonetheless, the Stream Deck app uses WebSockets (for Qt WebChannels) for a reason unknown to me.

I've reached Elgato's Technical support for more details.

Rayj

In an earlier post you mentioned websockets could be used only if you were on the same LAN? From what I know about websockets and WebRTC, you do not need to be on the same lan? Is this another kind of websocket?

Palakis

Developer
@Rayj I believe you're talking about my earlier warning about exposing obs-websocket to the Internet. obs-websocket uses standard WebSockets, which rely on standard TCP sockets (with HTTP in the middle). So you can connect to obs-websocket from another LAN, given that your network configuration allows it (routing, etc...).

Rayj

@Rayj I believe you're talking about my earlier warning about exposing obs-websocket to the Internet. obs-websocket uses standard WebSockets, which rely on standard TCP sockets (with HTTP in the middle). So you can connect to obs-websocket from another LAN, given that your network configuration allows it (routing, etc...).

Ah...thanks for the response. I get it.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Regarding that Stream Deck issue, a quick process and binary analysis of the Stream Deck plugin for OBS shows no use of WebSockets and rather a use of Shared Memory to communicate with the Stream Deck app. Nonetheless, the Stream Deck app uses WebSockets (for Qt WebChannels) for a reason unknown to me.

For what it's worth, Elgato have finally released the source code for their Stream Deck OBS plugin: https://github.com/elgatosf/streamdeck-obs-plugin

ThatGirlSlays

Here is an email response from Elgato support

So Elgato left me an email with some steps to follow to hopefully get both Elgato Stream Dream OBS Websocket plugin to work properly (previously ESD rendered OBS Websocket plugin inoperable). I was out of town for a week, just returning and before I even started the steps, ESD had an update. The update allows both ESD and OBS Websocket plugin both to work simultaneously.

Jack kang

Connect the camera and use the filter,obs-websocket can control recording,but i want to get the current frame saved as a transparent PNG picture,what should I do?