Question / Help OBS Studio upload speed for Facebook Live

Charmaine

I have a Macbook Pro Retina, 13 inch, Mid 2014, running El Capitan 10.11.5, Processor: 2.GHz Intel CORE I5, Memory 8GB, Graphics Intel Iris. What should be my minimum upload speed? I don't know if I upgrade to 2 Mbps if it will be enough or not.

I was on the OBS site to figure out internet speed needed. However, it asked a question about gaming streaming instead of Facebook Live streaming. https://obsproject.com/estimator

Any ideas on what upload speed I need? I don't know if I upgrade to 2 Mbps if it will be enough or not.

Thanks for your help.

Charmaine

Narcogen

Streaming is streaming. Pick the kind of content from the list that is most appropriate and look at what the estimate gives you. However Facebook's streaming maximum bitrate is 2500, while other sites like Twitch can sustain higher bitrates, it just means your clients need more bandwidth to watch.

If you're *upgrading* to 2Mbps, what do you have now?

Charmaine

Streaming is streaming. Pick the kind of content from the list that is most appropriate and look at what the estimate gives you. However Facebook's streaming maximum bitrate is 2500, while other sites like Twitch can sustain higher bitrates, it just means your clients need more bandwidth to watch.

If you're *upgrading* to 2Mbps, what do you have now?
I know, it's pretty sad that I say upgrade to 2. That is all I can get in my area. It really is disappointing!

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
If you have 2 Mbps upload you can only take like 1500 to 1700 bitrate, everything higher will not be sustainable by your internet.

Charmaine

If you have 2 Mbps upload you can only take like 1500 to 1700 bitrate, everything higher will not be sustainable by your internet.
Thank you! Would you happen to know why I can't open OBS anymore on my mac? I used OBS last week to broadcast. But now I keep getting Quit Unexpectedly when I try to open the app. I've unistalled, emptied trash, shut down computer, started computer up, reinstalled OBS for mac. I've even tried saving the app to an external hard drive and it still won't open. I'm so frustrated. I've posted my questions and a Bug Report -s o hopefully, can get this figured out. If you have any ideas on how to get the OBS app to open, I'd love to hear them! Thank you!