Chase_

I'm getting this error when trying to start the recording
upload_2017-5-21_15-43-5.png

This is my settings on a Win7 machine running OBS 19.0.2

upload_2017-5-21_15-45-48.png

Any thoughts?

Chase_

@Chase_
your IP multicast address is not in the right range, try 239.0.0.1 (see a few posts behind)

That did make it so I can start the recording which I can view in VLC. But the same error is popping up again after some time. It seems to possibly be related to when a VLC video source finishes it's playlist.

John Navara

Seeing the update from Sunday I have a question in regards the following comment:

"Alternatively you can directly send to just one PC in your system by using his IP, for example: udp://192.168.0.5:9999
You can use any port that is free and accessible on the PC's you want to use."

I can use the IP for the computer that is running the VLC software then correct? That would mean I would use the following:

OBS recording computer: udp://192.168.1.112:9999
VLC computer: udp://@192.168.1.112:9999 (or do I point this back to the other IP?)

John

Last edited:

pkv

Developer
That did make it so I can start the recording which I can view in VLC. But the same error is popping up again after some time. It seems to possibly be related to when a VLC video source finishes it's playlist.
did you remove the faulty address from the vlc playlist ? sorry if i'm stating the obvious but sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one

John Navara

Seeing the update from Sunday I have a question in regards the following comment:

"Alternatively you can directly send to just one PC in your system by using his IP, for example: udp://192.168.0.5:9999
You can use any port that is free and accessible on the PC's you want to use."

I can use the IP for the computer that is running the VLC software then correct? That would mean I would use the following:

VLC computer: udp://@192.168.1.112:9999 (or do I point this back to the other IP?)

John

I tried these settings and it didn't work.

John

bunchofsage

@john
VLC computer: udp://@192.168.1.112:9999

I tried these settings and it didn't work.

Both the OBS settings and the open stream dialog in VLC need to point to the VLC PC's ip address. This means it should work if 192.168.1.112 is the stream receiver. (opposite of multicast where you use no one's LAN IP)

@Jack0r I tried multicasting with 224.0.0.1 and it didn't work. If @pkv and @Boildown are correct it's rather 239.0.0.1?

@Jack0r Thanks for your great tutorial. However I need to stream and record at the same time. Currently I do this by recording in VLC on the VLC PC (see here for instructions but this is likely to be forgotten in the middle of the action). Is there a way to do both on the sender's PC?

Lucage

Did a test stream last night with my girlfriend using this method. It worked perfectly! Thank you so much for doing this.

SeikoTheWiz

Hi there !
First I wanted to thank you a lot for this guide, it was REALLY useful !

I had a question though, I'm using it to stream from a computer to another, and the second one is to stream over twitch, which means I'm also using OBS to get the video stream. It's working ok, but I seem to be having some latency and not a fixed one.

Like just an hour ago I started with about 5 secondes latency, went to about 20 seconds and after a while stopped working altogether. I'm using 2 webcam on the serving computer to film 2 different views, it did seem to work better with only one, not sure yet.

Is there a workaround for the latency (I've seen "$ ffplay -fflags nobuffer udp://@0.0.0.0:9999" but I got no idea where to put this). And maybe a way to force the stream to continue
Can it be my local network that's too slow ? (I'm over wifi).

edit : I does indeed seems to work better with only 1 webcam, but still stopped after a while :(

Long version :
To go a bit further, my first issue is that I can't put too many webcams on the same computer. So I need to find a way to work around this limitation. My first idea was the RTMP stream, and while looking at how to do this, I found this post about simple UDP.

Maybe it's not the best way to work around the "many webcam" issue.

I'm welcoming all ideas :)
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

SeikoTheWiz

Way too many variables and not enough information to even guess beyond this: Don't use wifi for streaming video.
Don't have a choice to the setup at home right now. If I lower my bitrate from 15k to 1.5k should not pose any issue if you fear for the wifi to be not string enough?

Do you think it's the best approach to gain access to more webcams (provided I can use a lan network when I'll ready use it) ?

Boildown

Don't have a choice to the setup at home right now. If I lower my bitrate from 15k to 1.5k should not pose any issue if you fear for the wifi to be not string enough?

Do you think it's the best approach to gain access to more webcams (provided I can use a lan network when I'll ready use it) ?

I really have no idea what you're asking. I don't think you can send a quality stream over 1.5Mbps unless its a really small resolution. I think wifi will cause problems over any bitrate of streaming video because of its half-duplex nature, unless your two devices are the only two devices in a tenth of a mile from you. If you're using multicast, that doesn't even go over wifi.

Just buy a 100meter network cable and string it while you're doing your event, pick it up when you're done. Buy long USB cables for the webcams if that's part of it. If needed, prove your concept in testing by putting everything in the same room temporarily, wired up, and seeing if it works.

SeikoTheWiz

The issue with multiple webcams is not about cable length, it's that you can't have several webcam using the same USB controller. So if my setup require 10 webcams, that's way too much for a single computer.

edit for reference in case someone else come here with the same problem, I used the following method:
Streaming with:
https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...wn-private-rtmfp-server-using-monaserver.153/

Reading thanks to the VLC Plugin on the second computer (in OBS of course).

Last edited:

John Navara

Both the OBS settings and the open stream dialog in VLC need to point to the VLC PC's ip address. This means it should work if 192.168.1.112 is the stream receiver. (opposite of multicast where you use no one's LAN IP)

The stream receiver IP is 192.168.1.112. Still doesn't work at all.

John

I have some issues setting this up. OBS setup works fine but there seems to be an issue with the output. Everytime I'm opening the stream there are huge artefacts in the stream. Didn't make a screenshot yet but the stream looks something like this picture https://i.stack.imgur.com/jAJYI.png

I tried different bitrates from 2500 - 20000 it stays the same. Maybe some problems with 120hz refreshrate?
Maybe someone could help me with this. thanks in advance.

Had you solved this issue?

I'm with a issue like yours. I've tested in my local network and the stream works greatly, but in 3 PC, phisically close, the stream is with dropped frames. Maybe a router or switch issue?

Edit: Solved changing the UDP server to udp://239.0.0.1:9999

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I'm working in the town hall for a while and I would like to share with you how far I have come so far using OBS.
First of all, thanks to everyone who helps this great functionality works.

I've been using OBS Studio for ~ 3 months - in replacement for Wirecast, which was causing constant crashes in the transmission PC.

We're using OBS, at first, to stream direcetly to YouTube. In this case, I use the common streaming settings, as you can see, below:
upload_2017-7-14_13-24-9.png

But we're facing the increasing usage of the internet to watch our broadcasts locally, at the councilmen offices. So, I've been searching for a solution to decrease the bandwidth consumption during the live streaming and, miraculously, I came across this tutorial. After some tests, we had success streaming via UDP, as described in the overview of this thead.

Before some issues, we gladly came with this settings working fine, with YouTube streaming and UDP "recording" at the same time, with no issues. Here are the settings I'm using in the Recording fields:
upload_2017-7-14_13-29-59.png

Note: We use Windows 8.1, in a Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM CPU and another PC's are running Ubuntu 16.04. We face no problems watching the UDP stream on VLC.

I hope this report helps someone solve problems in streaming and show it's possible stream to a normal service and to a UDP server at the same time.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-14_13-12-53.png
    upload_2017-7-14_13-12-53.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 969
  • upload_2017-7-14_13-24-32.png
    upload_2017-7-14_13-24-32.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 962

FuTuL

It is better if I explain the problem :- I am trying to stream directly to an Exterity IPTV Receiver (R9200) using the UDP protocol which I can make work by sheep dipping the UDP stream through VLC, this which works a treat :-) I incorrectly assumed it was a stream TTL issue as there was no setting, but it was not the problem.

I have compared the two streams OBS and routed through VLC and the main difference I can see via wire shark is as follows :-

OBS Stream [Protocols in frame: eth: ethertype: ip: udp: data]

VLC Stream [Protocols in frame: eth: ethertype: ip: udp: mp2t: mpeg-pes]

My guess is OBS is sending the video as data packets and not video, this does not seem to be a problem for VLC playback but the Exterity box does not know what to make of it, in fact it locks the box up for some time when it receives it.

Now I'm faced with a similar problem. OBS is sending the video as data packets and not video. Is there a way to fix this? If it is possible to refine it by writing a plug-in, then tell me about it.
Thank you in advance.

FuTuL

Now I'm faced with a similar problem. OBS is sending the video as data packets and not video. Is there a way to fix this? If it is possible to refine it by writing a plug-in, then tell me about it.
Thank you in advance.
I found the problem, but I'm not quite sure how to fix it. When transferring data, you need to limit the size of the packages to 1316. Here is an example of a ffmpeg's args:
Code:
... -f mpegts udp://239.0.0.1:1234?pkt_size=1316
How can this be done in the OBS?
UDP: This was fixed by adding arguments to the URL line
0X1W7prEAJ0.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.