Bug Report OBS Studio Not Opening

Jeaton

I've recently started having an issue where my OBS fails to open. It does not open and crash. It does not open and get stuck at whatever point. It does not even appear in task manager, not even for a split second. I've had this issue for two programs, and only two programs: OBS and Corsair Utility Engine. I've used both programs for over a year now, and only for the past few weeks have I started having these issues. I figured factory resetting my computer would help, so I tried it. It was only temporarily fixed, and the problem arose once again. I'm not sure what information to provide to help troubleshoot.

I also see at the bottom here in red text asking me if I've remembered to include a log file- but since OBS does not even open, no log files have enough time to be created and therefore I have none to provide. :(

Here is a gyazo gif to show you what's happening. When I click on OBS, whether it be from my taskbar, desktop shortcut, or even if I open file location and run the original exe as an administrator, every time I open the program it just gives a loading icon next to my cursor for a second and then nothing happens.

https://gyazo.com/c80bfe2757f9c25c9fe7d4ef0aeded3b

Last edited:

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
If the factory reset did fix it initially then I would suspect that some other software on your system interfering with OBS (software you would have loaded after the reset presumably, like antivirus).

Jeaton

If the factory reset did fix it initially then I would suspect that some other software on your system interfering with OBS (software you would have loaded after the reset presumably, like antivirus).
Any idea what it could be? I've just uninstalled all my antiviruses and I disabled my firewall, and the problem is still occurring. However, after restarting my computer to finish uninstalling one of them, I realized that I'm able to open OBS the second my computer turns on, but not at anytime afterwards.

Here's a screenshot of all my programs, could one of these be the issue?

https://gyazo.com/842d4ed95004c08167b54809a3902a65

vencabot

Any idea what it could be? I've just uninstalled all my antiviruses and I disabled my firewall, and the problem is still occurring. However, after restarting my computer to finish uninstalling one of them, I realized that I'm able to open OBS the second my computer turns on, but not at anytime afterwards.

Here's a screenshot of all my programs, could one of these be the issue?

https://gyazo.com/842d4ed95004c08167b54809a3902a65

Unless I misunderstand your screenshot of your installed applications, your OBS Studio version is 17.0? The current version is 20, so it seems like you're on a pretty old version. Please verify that you have the same issue with the newest version of OBS Studio. If I misunderstand, I apologize.

Jeaton

Unless I misunderstand your screenshot of your installed applications, your OBS Studio version is 17.0? The current version is 20, so it seems like you're on a pretty old version. Please verify that you have the same issue with the newest version of OBS Studio. If I misunderstand, I apologize.
I've already tried that. Version 18-20 all have the same issues. And the reason I use 17.0 is because my footage is completely black screen on newer versions.

vencabot

I've already tried that. Version 18-20 all have the same issues. And the reason I use 17.0 is because my footage is completely black screen on newer versions.

Damn, then it sounds like you're beyond my help, bro! It seems like resolving the 'black screen' issue should be your first priority, since I don't believe that tech support is typically offered for older versions, nor are bug submissions accepted. I wish you luck!

Jeaton

Damn, then it sounds like you're beyond my help, bro! It seems like resolving the 'black screen' issue should be your first priority, since I don't believe that tech support is typically offered for older versions, nor are bug submissions accepted. I wish you luck!
Could I please no ask you to try not to leave the biggest smart-aleck vibe possible when responding to my help thread, especially considering you're not even a moderator? I've already tried to install the most recent version to see if it fixed the issue, and it didn't, so that means this is an up-to-date bug, and therefore your response was very much not needed! Thank you very much!

Suslik V

Are you sure that there is no log-file created? If so, you need clear system install.

Edit: Also, when trouble shooting - download new OBS Studio in zip, unpack to different folder on your PC and then make it portable.

Last edited:

Jeaton

Are you sure that there is no log-file created? If so, you need clear system install.

Edit: Also, when trouble shooting - download new OBS Studio in zip, unpack to different folder on your PC and then make it portable.

No log files are created. https://gyazo.com/d8152220ece4494913c517ce82213957
The logs that are already there are files from the first few days after my factory reset, the only way I'm ever actually able to get the thing to open. No new ones get created.

Jeaton

If it would be ideal to screenshare, I would be more than happy to. I've had this problem for over a month and I'm eager to just fix it already.

Jeaton

Look for the answer at Windows Logs too (Event Viewer).
Here, I've found it.

There are two logs that get created every time I try to open OBS. One named Information and one named Error.

Here's Information:

Fault bucket 120826026688, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: obs64.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 598dd619
P4: StackHash_8e0e
P5: 10.0.15063.0
P6: b79b6ddb
P7: c0000374
P8: PCH_6F_FROM_ntdll+0x00000000000A5F04
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERBBDB.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERBC2A.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERBC2B.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERBC3B.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_obs64.exe_4f5ccd91f153a99873f01e1fe1657a5bc8a043_d7ed3742_221ec169

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 011870e7-b3be-4246-ab60-de45e2b56660
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: fda02012eb7a79b41f98c124fa30cc39

Here's Error:

Faulting application name: obs64.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x598dd619
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0xb79b6ddb
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f775f
Faulting process id: 0x2514
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3251a347a8ee3
Faulting application path: C:\Users\jathe\AppData\Roaming\OBS Studio Portable\bin\64bit\obs64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 011870e7-b3be-4246-ab60-de45e2b56660
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: