Bug Report obs studio is extremely unstable for me

liamdawe

For some reason, OBS Studio crashes all the time for me on Ubuntu 15.10, was the same on Ubuntu 15.04.

I am on an Nvidia 970 with driver version 355.11.

I was using the official PPA, but I have also now tested compiling from the zip download of the master on github, same issues.

Pretty sure it's to do with Window Capture, especially when you close the window OBS is capturing from.

I have a few logs attached that I captured from terminal.

Would really like to figure out why, I have open bug reports for them too.

I can almost get it to reliably crash when I close a window it's capturing from, so it's like it doesn't have code to perform checks and just stop the window capturing gracefully if the window is closed...or something.

I also seem to get a lot of this when closing a window OBS is capturing from:
error: xcompcap: XCompositeRedirectWindow failed: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
error: xcompcap: XCompositeRedirectWindow failed: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
error: xcompcap: XCompositeNameWindowPixmap failed: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

Attachments

• obs.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 40
  • obs 2.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 20
  • obs 3.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

CannaPLUS

I am also having issues with random crashes. This may be a thing... Im running Arch Linux gtx 550ti just updated to latest drivers. Been having this problem for a while now.

ZeroLabs

I JUST started having serious stability issues today. Crash after crash after crash. I don't even have to be doing anything other than have it open. Most often it crashes at the instant I click to perform just about any operation. All of the information you need should be in the log file header short of my video card, nVidia GTX 750 Ti.

EDIT: I have narrowed it down to having a Xcomposite Window Capture defined in any scene collection that does not happen to be open at the time. OBS randomly croaks when it can't find it. This happens when I try to define a window for Skype calls for instance. The call window is not always present. When the window is present, OBS is happy. Window missing, not so much. Shouldn't OBS just ignore the missing window?

Attachments

• 2016-02-10 16-34-23.txt
    9 KB · Views: 26

Maksim Stepanov

Having the same issues as a ZeroFossilFuel does. Thare were appear after last update (using ppa with ubuntu 15.10). OBS 0.13.1

09:27:05.910: ┣OBSBasic::InitService: 0,064 ms
09:27:05.910: ┣OBSBasic::InitPrimitives: 22,175 ms
09:27:05.910: ┗OBSBasic::Load: 1031,78 ms
09:27:05.910: =================================================
09:27:05.923: X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
09:27:05.947: X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
09:27:05.952: X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
09:27:05.952: X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
09:27:06.664: Update check: last known remote version is 0.4.0
09:27:09.889: X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
09:27:09.889: X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

ZeroLabs

Yep. That be the one. Start another scene collection without any missing Xcomposite windows and see if you still have the problem. My money is on you won't.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
There have been known issues with Xcomposite capture for a while. Jim said he was going to hopefully take a look at it soon.

ZeroLabs

There have been known issues with Xcomposite capture for a while. Jim said he was going to hopefully take a look at it soon.
Okay, thanks for at least letting us know this is an acknowledged problem and it's on the radar. I hope my description of how I recreate the symptom helps lead to a quick and easy fix for Jim. It is never my intention to create extra work for him but this one is a real PITA for me. It means I can't save ahead of time any Xcomposite window capture to any active scene collection. The window must be active at the time I create the capture and I must kill it before the window closes else risk OBS crashing in the middle of a broadcast.