OBS Studio OBS-Studio: High quality recording and multiple Audio Tracks [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterEvilAce

Hey,
I've been trying to record *1080p 60fps* video, and recently started getting into testing NVENC. Unfortunately it tends to not be all that great.

My current setup looks like this:
Intel i7 6700K, nvidia GTX 970, 16 GB ram, 144hz BenQ monitor (running at 120hz), and I record to a Samsung 840 SSD.
Most of my testing has been with Overwatch on medium settings, capped at ~120 FPS (without VSync), and I can regularly get 200+ FPS, so it's not a real strain on the hardware.
I am running the latest Windows 10, and nVidia drivers.. I know there are some problems with anniversary update, and I'm wondering if that is possibly related, here... but if not, let me explain what is happening...

With x264 Encoder, I run CRF 18 on ultrafast, high profile. Recordings come out great, no dropped frames, smooth, and great image quality.

With testing NVENC, the guide suggests a CQP setting of down to 15. I'm having trouble getting consistently smooth gameplay recorded with CQP even at 18.. it's very stuttery on playback. 23 is better but seems like it still hitches occasionally. Going higher than 23 tends to make the recording too low quality for my liking. The actual game is still smooth with CPU or GPU encoding, but while using NVENC the playback is just unwatchable. There's nothing in the log about dropped frames or anything of that nature.

I've tried Shadowplay itself just to test if there's a problem there, but it's fine. Even recording at 130 mbps there is absolutely no stuttering.
In OBS, the other rate control settings are lossless, CBR, VBR. Lossless is very choppy on playback, maybe equiv of the "15 CQP" setting. I've only tried VBR a couple of times... with a bitrate of 50000 the playback is extremely smooth, but the quality isn't perfect. Trying a setting of 80000-100000 tends to result in that jittery playback, again, even though the image is very good.

I'm wondering if this performance is to be expected, or if there's an issue somewhere. Seems strange that Shadowplay can record 1080p60 @ 130 mbps flawlessly and OBS "struggles" at even 80 mbps. Back to CQP tests, cutting the OBS framerate to 30 fixes stuttering issues at the CQP's I want to use, but I'd really like to record at 60 FPS.

Any ideas?

layarion

The Nvenc is out of date, there are more settings than that available and CQP does not give me a range to choose from but a single number called CQP

layarion

Hey,
I've been trying to record *1080p 60fps* video, and recently started getting into testing NVENC. Unfortunately it tends to not be all that great.

My current setup looks like this:
Intel i7 6700K, nvidia GTX 970, 16 GB ram, 144hz BenQ monitor (running at 120hz), and I record to a Samsung 840 SSD.
Most of my testing has been with Overwatch on medium settings, capped at ~120 FPS (without VSync), and I can regularly get 200+ FPS, so it's not a real strain on the hardware.
I am running the latest Windows 10, and nVidia drivers.. I know there are some problems with anniversary update, and I'm wondering if that is possibly related, here... but if not, let me explain what is happening...

With x264 Encoder, I run CRF 18 on ultrafast, high profile. Recordings come out great, no dropped frames, smooth, and great image quality.

With testing NVENC, the guide suggests a CQP setting of down to 15. I'm having trouble getting consistently smooth gameplay recorded with CQP even at 18.. it's very stuttery on playback. 23 is better but seems like it still hitches occasionally. Going higher than 23 tends to make the recording too low quality for my liking. The actual game is still smooth with CPU or GPU encoding, but while using NVENC the playback is just unwatchable. There's nothing in the log about dropped frames or anything of that nature.

I've tried Shadowplay itself just to test if there's a problem there, but it's fine. Even recording at 130 mbps there is absolutely no stuttering.
In OBS, the other rate control settings are lossless, CBR, VBR. Lossless is very choppy on playback, maybe equiv of the "15 CQP" setting. I've only tried VBR a couple of times... with a bitrate of 50000 the playback is extremely smooth, but the quality isn't perfect. Trying a setting of 80000-100000 tends to result in that jittery playback, again, even though the image is very good.

I'm wondering if this performance is to be expected, or if there's an issue somewhere. Seems strange that Shadowplay can record 1080p60 @ 130 mbps flawlessly and OBS "struggles" at even 80 mbps. Back to CQP tests, cutting the OBS framerate to 30 fixes stuttering issues at the CQP's I want to use, but I'd really like to record at 60 FPS.

Any ideas?
i have issues with dropped frames on OBS S as well, but in your case if it gets better the lower you set the bitrate, that suggest a bottleneck in the dataflow to your harddrive.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
The Nvenc is out of date, there are more settings than that available and CQP does not give me a range to choose from but a single number called CQP
Do you mean this part of the guide?

NVENC
  • Rate Control: CQP
  • CQP: 15-25
  • Preset: High-Quality
  • Profile: high

If so, then the intent is that you should select a CQP value between 15 and 25, inclusive. It's not suggesting that you enter a range for a value, but that you enter a value from the suggested range.

I believe that the reason it does not mention the NVENC settings Keyframe Interval, Level, Use Two-Pass Encoding, GPU, and B-frames is that you should leave them at the default values. The only fields that need to be changed are the ones mentioned above and in the guide (Rate Control, CQP, Preset, Profile). Of course, @Jack0r can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

iiZeaduxii

Hi, this is probably an old thread. I have an i5-6600k and I expeirence lag in the playback. I don't know why is there anyway I can fix this? Or should I just get an i7-6700k

My GPU is a 1070 GTX but also when using the Nvec encoder I have 1-2 frame drop every minute or so.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hi, this is probably an old thread. I have an i5-6600k and I expeirence lag in the playback. I don't know why is there anyway I can fix this? Or should I just get an i7-6700k

My GPU is a 1070 GTX but also when using the Nvec encoder I have 1-2 frame drop every minute or so.
@iiZeaduxii
You should be posting a new thread in the appropriate support forum for your version of OBS (Classic/Studio) and OS (Windows/Mac/Linux). Please include information on what media player you're using that experiences playback lag. Please also read the stickied thread in the appropriate forum on how to post logs, and include logs for a session where you produce a file that has playback lag.

Xaymar

The guide is outdated for AMD encoding. New high quality settings are:
  • Preset: Indistinguishable or Lossless
  • Quality Preset: Speed, Balanced or Quality (Speed is fastest, Quality is slowest)
  • Keyframe Interval: 2 - 5 Seconds
upload_2017-7-26_18-14-33.png

Hi, considering these three encoding options:

1) x264, CRF=15, cpu=veryfast

2) NVENC, CQP=15, preset=high quality, profile=high

3) QuickSync, target usage=quality, profile=high, LA_ICQ, ICQ=15, Lookahead Depth= 40

Assuming I can run all three flawlessly, which would give the best quality?

What I record are 720p, 30fps recordings of windows desktop stuff (my browser mainly). Maybe that is simple enough to make the encoder choice irrelevant but does one give better quality over the other?

layarion

x264 cpu is better in a perfect world, but i'd only count on that if you're using a separate computer to record with. if a game eats your cpu it won't do as well.

kukurigu

Hello . I have a Hikvision camera and working with obs, but after 10 minute the image is intrrerupting! What can I do?? Can help me someone?

Jay@OHS

I have one device (Blackmagic intensity shuttle). I am receiving stereo audio over HDMI. One channel is an on-camera mic, the other is a feed from a PA system.

For the streaming output, I would like this downmixed to mono. However, I would also like to record, and for this I would like the channels to remain separate.

I see "downmix to mono" as an option in Advanced Audio Properties, but it's turned on and off by *Source*. I need to be able to turn it on an off by Destination (on for Streaming, off for Recording).

Is this possible?

Thanks!

KaliaQ

The fix for everything. OBS requires administrator privileges so that it can encode at higher levels. The reason for this is while running games. Windows decides that the game is more important then OBS which, therefore, has lower quality recordings and streams. To fix this simply run OBS as administrator every time you start. This should fix all the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.