OBS stream Setup 720p?

a27cd1

Okay, so im new to streaming so I need help. Im trying to stream my xbox one to mixer at atleast at 720p. im going for 30fps because im assuming this would be less taxing on my pc. Im using an Elgato game cap. My internet, every time i test it,usually hits around a 21 down and a 3 up speed. Ive tried a bitrate of about 2000-2500 but it lags so much from what i can tell you cant even see any movement on the screen. Im assuming its the laptop im using which has a pentium n370 core, 8gb, and 1.6 ghz.

any suggestions?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hi! Please post a log file from a session where you have this option.

If you have an Intel Pentium N3700, I'm not sure it will be able to handle OBS properly, but the logs will tell us more.

a27cd1

Thats what I was thinking, I'm probably going to borrow a friends gaming laptop just to make sure.
Hope I uploaded these right.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 2018-08-07 11-55-20.txt
    13 KB · Views: 397
  • 2018-08-14 17-33-28.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 126

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Okay, so your system is definitely pretty underpowered for what you're trying to do. If you want to keep using this system for streaming with OBS, I'd recommend the following:
  1. Set your OBS FPS to 20 or 25. You can find this in OBS Settings > Video.
  2. See if you can use the "Hardware (QSV)". You can find this in OBS Settings > Outputs > Streaming > Encoder. You
  3. Set the streaming bitrate to 2000. Ideally, you'd want a better upstream speed, but you've indicated this isn't possible. You can try to use the TwitchTest tool* or the OBS auto-config wizard to determine your maximum streaming bitrate.
  4. Consider setting your output resolution to 540p or 480p.
  5. Try to simplify/consolidate your scenes and scene collections to reduce resource usage. Set sources to shut down when not visible/active when the option is available.
  6. Use Game Capture to capture games when possible. It's more efficient than Window/Display Capture.
  7. Make sure AVG's Game Mode is disabled.
  8. Disable the Windows 10 Game DVR. You can find this in Windows Settings > Gaming.
  9. Close as many other background applications as possible when streaming.
That said, the best solution for your intended setup will be to acquire better hardware. You could also stream to Mixer directly from your Xbox One, though you wouldn't get the ability to use the scene compositing features that OBS offers.

* TwitchTest
Use the Twitch Bandwidth Test to find the best Twitch server to stream to. Set Duration to Medium. You can uncheck any regions you're not near. After the test completes, click the Share Result button to upload a screenshot, which can then be copied and pasted here. Get TwitchTest from https://r1ch.net/projects/twitchtest.

a27cd1

I thought so. For streaming from my xbox through my computer ideally what specs should I look for? I dont ever plan on using my PC to game so that being said I do not need all the bulk a typical person might want.

Last edited:

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Live encoding and streaming is fairly computationally expensive, so many dedicated streaming rigs actually end up with higher specs than dedicated gaming rigs. That said, if you're looking for minimum requirements, something like this:
  • CPU: a recent Intel i5 class processor or AMD Ryzen 5 on the mid-high side of those classes
  • GPU: I'd recommend something comparable to a GTX 1060, but I've worked with a GTX 760 on a single PC setup within the past few years and that was still serviceable (though not for recent AAA games)
  • RAM: 8GB minimum, ideally 16GB or more
  • Miscellany: if doing a desktop build, be sure to consider PCIe lanes/bandwidth and power supply needs
Taking a look at Logical Increments, something in the Entry tier would probably be considered minimum requirements. I wouldn't recommend anything below that, though the Minimum tier might work out okay for some needs. I'd personally recommend the Good tier as a more comfortable minimum. Diminishing returns probably appear at Superb or higher.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Desktops are generally going to be less expensive for the performance you'll get, and desktops can leave open the possibility of future upgrades, while laptops more or less can only be replaced. For that price, you could get a PC build in Logical Increments' Very Good to Great range (not necessarily including peripherals). If you're streaming from a console that sits in one place, I think a desktop would be better for the task if the system isn't going to be used for anything else. If you absolutely need portability in your setup, then a laptop may be necessary to accommodate your needs, but as I said earlier, they will be more expensive than an equivalent desktop.

For that specific model laptop, I'd prefer a GTX 1060 minimum, but at least the GTX 1050 is far better than what you currently have.

Stream Doctor

The typical recommendation for streaming speed to Twitch is something like half of what your max internet upload speed is. So for you this is going to be from 1500-2000kbps. To be honest your stream will be really suffering at that point when you compare it to the current standard of what's out there.

Another thing is you need to make sure you are hardwired and not connected via Wifi when connecting to the Twitch server on OBS. It requires a very pure connection to have a nice looking stream. Even something like roommates browsing Youtube in the other room is enough to cause stutters in your stream for the viewer, and this is even while hardwired. Most standard all in one modems from the internet company cannot handle this type of load distribution.

TL;DR, the Laptop you are choosing is probably fine if you can only have one machine and it really needs to be a laptop. A $1k computer will definitely give you more performance for your dollar though.