Question / Help OBS Recording Lags, Elgato Recording Not

Kaizen1990

Hello Folks,

im a longtime Youtuber/Streamer and found the perfect Settings for my PC. Now my Girlfriend started her own Youtube Lets Play Channel.
Up till now she records with Elgato Gaming Capture.
In Future she wants to Record and Stream too.
With Console Games no problem, just Recording and Streaming with the Elgato.
But when we play something like Left 4 Dead 2 on PC/MAC, she cannot record or Stream with OBS.
We tried so many different Settings from Resolution up and Down, Setting the Bitrate High and Low. And so on. The Record will always be a bit laggy.
Somehow i wonder, why can Elgato record and Stream in 1080p good Bitrate without being laggy, and OBS cannot.

Her Mac is from 2010 so it isnt a Strong one anymore i know that :) we pumped up the Ram to 16GB. So sure the Mac isnt suited for Recording or Streaming, thats the easy answer. My problem still is why is it working with Elgato o.O. I mean sure elgato does a lot of work so the CPU wont be touched. But while Streaming, Recording with OBS the CPU isnt higher than 20-30%. But is still lagging.

We already tried going from x264 to Apple Encoder did not do any difference. We also tried to record to a Server and an External HDD still lagging.

I will insert the logs maybe you can tell me why the OBS recording is lagging and the Elgato Recording is not. And what we could do about it :D

thank you very much :)

Attachments

• 2018-05-18 16-15-10.txt
    27.5 KB · Views: 54

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Elgato Game Capture uses the onboard encoder of the Elgato capture device that you're using rather than the CPU. OBS cannot use that encoder, since Elgato have not made that encoder available for other applications to use, so it uses the CPU instead.

However, you have a relatively-okay CPU. Instead, it looks like the problem is more related to rendering. I see you're using Window capture, which can run slowly on Mac if it's capturing a relatively large window. I recommend using Display capture instead, and crop it to the size that it needs to be. Display capture should run much better.

Kaizen1990

thx it really worked :D hahaha. Now i have another Question not related to that one, but dont wanna open a new Thread. Like i said i record and Stream too, and my PC is Quite okayish.

I have the Ryzen 1700x, Nvidia Geforce 1080, 16GB Ram, and an Internetconnection with 400k but in my PC Room only 100k down and 15k up manages to reach my pc with devolo cables. But i can stream and record at the same time, with streaming settings:
x.264, 1920x180 with 60FPS, CBR, Keyframe 2, CPU Preset fast, Profile Main. Without any problems. So my hardware can handle it with ease. Now i wonder on the bitrate, i started with 6000 it worked quite fine, but everywhere in any guide and even here in Forum they say 3500 max. I get why because not all people have an internet connection which can handle the 6000 Bitrate thats fine. Now i have read in here, when you stream with 3500 bitrate you shouldnt do 1080p60fps because it would look l ike crap. You should better do 720p60fps for fast games and 1080p30fps for slower games. And i tried it but to be honest, for me the 720p60fps and 1080p30fps looked worser with 3500 bitrate than the 1080p60fps. Now im really confused o.O wether i shall let it at 1080p60fps if my opinion is it looks better, or am i just blind. Or are there other reasons why 720p60fps are better.

Im not a Twitch Partner so im kinda limited either. And i want to say, im streaming on 4 Plattforms at the same time. Twitch/Youtube/Mixer/Smashcast.
Till now all works fine but Youtube could go so much higher in Bitrate than Twitch, but if i put it higher less people can watch it xD.

Hope its not bad that i just put it in this thread :) thanks all

DataMeister

There's no rules against posting multiple questions in a thread, but you might get more responses if your last question was in it's own thread labeled "Why is 1080p60 worse than 720p60" or "How do I choose the best bitrate" or something along those lines. It also makes for better problem solving from future people browsing the forums.